Mac Forums Widget?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Alot of other forums are coming up with thier own widgets so that people with tiger can check the latest post with out signing on to the site. Is there a possibility for any body on this forum who knows how to program in creating one for us if they have free time or a group of people who would like to work on it. I am willing to test it and offer suggestions but not really a talented person when it comes to writing code but working on getting better at that for the future.

I

iMe

I was looking in Macrumors.com in the section, "What does your dashboard look like" and I thought someone with a powerbook had a mac-forums widget. I'll check again.

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok sounds good..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
If I knew how to program, I would. But sadly, I don't. Maybe some other awesome forum poster will do it, or take the code from another forum's and modify it to work for mac-forums...

K

Kokopelli

<EDIT> OK there is an RSS feed. If making a widget out of that will do I would consider it. It is important to note though I should not be your first choice. I know html, css, and javascript but I am not a UI designer. Someone with web design and graphics experience could do a much better job than me.

Leaving my initial ramblings below...
</EDIT>

There is not an RSS feed in the forums as near as I can tell which complicates things significantly. You could use the "latest threads" on the front page I suppose. Alternatively you could authenticate and gut the get new display. Neither of these are going to yield very good results though since the whole widget is still basically just a cascading style sheet and some JavaScript.

Do not take this as an intent to write the widget by the way. Right now I try hard to find things to do in my spare time that does not involve coding, not the reverse. (I do code in my spare time but I am trying to cut back.)

If an RSS feed is made available though or some other XML format I might consider it. At that stage the widget actually is fairly trivial. There are others here who are more capable than I at web design though, which is what is really required.

P.S. For Widgets I would not worry about a lack of programming experience. Widget design often does not really involve "programming," just a bit of html and javascript. You can use cocoa, but most widgets of this nature don't need it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
Coding it was easy enough... just gotta skin it now... I'll post soon

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sarahsboy18 said:
Coding it was easy enough... just gotta skin it now... I'll post soon

You are aweome!!!!

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Everyone should make one, and then decide on an offical one.

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iWhat said:
Everyone should make one, and then decide on an offical one.

I would but I don't know how, I wouldn't mind designing one and somebody using my design for a skin, just a little busy right now, finals are coming and I have alot of them this year.. finally next year I will be a senior!

T

Tel

sarahsboy18 said:
Here it is ladies and gents.... I just did it real basic.... nothing special... but it gets the job done.

Looks nice, works well too. Good job, thanks mate :headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
you know we all love you sarahsboy18 dont you?

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iNAP said:
here its first preview ;)
mine doesn't look like that, mine looks really nice red top, and mac forums logo.
If any body wants me to take a screen shot I will, but figured it would look the same to everybody else too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure the one I uploaded is working quite right... is it updating correctly for everyone?... mine doesn't appear to be.

Edit: Nevermind that is just some sort of delay in the RSS feed.

Reaction score
PowerBookG4 said:
mine doesn't look like that, mine looks really nice red top, and mac forums logo.
If any body wants me to take a screen shot I will, but figured it would look the same to everybody else too.
in my rush to check it out i didn't notice that that widget is not for this site. Hmmmmm. someone played a fast one on us

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Murlyn... are you sure that was the correct RSS link you posted before? That is the link I used to build the widget... It doesn't seem to be pulling all the "Get New" threads. I can't really tell what it is pulling... seems somewhat random... Possibly newly created threads instead of newly updated?

Edit: I went ahead and threw a screenshot of the current version.

screenshot1.jpeg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.