MacBook keeps dropping connection

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0GHz MacBook, iBook G4 (RIP), iBook G3, iMac G3, 30 GB iPod, 8GB iPhone
Sorry if this is a duplicate but I have searched and was unable to find the specific answer to my question.
First here are my specs:
MacBook 2Ghz Intel Core Duo
running 10.5.8
Router: Netgear WGR614v7 with updated firmware

Here's the problem: My MacBook will find the signal and connect for about 10-15 seconds then it loses it. When I click on the icon It will scan and either say that the Netgear is available or that nothing is available. If it does find the router I will ask it to connect and it will not, it will just go back to the router WEP login pane. If I close the lid and let it spin down then reopen it I can connect for another 10-15 seconds. It is such a pain in the neck. I also have checked all of my settings on the computer, router and I did reset PRAM and NVRAM. I have WEP with the correct passcode (or it wouldn't let me connect at all) and I have it configured using DHCP. All other devices (which are an iPod touch, an iPhone, an Xbox via Ethernet and a PC) can all connect without a problem.
This all seems to have started awhile back after an update I did. And it's just been getting worse. In the beginning I thought it was the card as it was only dropping the connection under heavy usage. So I thought it was perhaps a heat or load issue and thought the card might be dying. Needless to say it didn't change anything. So I am at my wits end and am sick of having to sit in the middle of the floor tethered to ethernet, yes I should get a longer cord :Smirk:.....
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Couple of ideas for you:

Are you broadcasting the SSID from the router? (your network name) And, have you tested the wireless signal with no encryption?

Also, do you remember which update it was that you did which may be causing the problem?

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
hello. This seems to be a problem with a lot of macbooks lately. Some people think it is the card failing, some think it is the last update and it changed power management and the card is over heating. I'm not sure which one.

I had this problem and what worked for me was this:

Go into finder>click on the hard drive icon>Library>preferences>system configuration>and delete the com.apple.airport.plist

Then click on the home icon on the finders side bar select library>preferences> and delete the com.apple.internetconfig.plist
If there is one that's labeled internetconfigpriv.plist delete that also.

Empty the trash and restart.

This has kept me connected but I noticed in network utility that I am having receiver errors. I am still connected with ethernet and haven't really ran with just my airport card, but I stay connected and it seems to work. I just gave up on airport and ran a 50 foot cable and said to heck with it. But my airport is on and I haven't lost connection in over a week.

Good luck.

Oh, if you are using WEP, you might want to change to WPA/WPA2 as it is more secure and from my experience works better with mac. You will probably have to change the setting on your modem first then on your mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.