CD wont eject

F

feyd

i do a lot of web / graphic design and receive cds from clients that do not always register (they do not show up on the desktop or in the finder list)... the eject [f12] key is useless in this case.
can anyone tell me if there is another way to eject the cd with out having to restart my ibook?
id appreicate it
-feyd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Have you tried Apple E?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
That's strange... Usually when my Macs can't read a disk they just spit it right back out.

OP
F

feyd

hungry hungry ibooks

sarahsboy18 said:
That's strange... Usually when my Macs can't read a disk they just spit it right back out.
i guess mine's kinda selfish... ;)
sometimes mine does but i am not sure if it also has to do with the discs being of pc origin???

and to witeshark:
im tempted to find a bad disc, just so i can try apple e! *laughs* but ill try and restrain myself... *laughs* <---typed with good humour
i now am armed with the knowledge!
- thanks
-feyd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
If all else fails (apple + e / dragging to trash / F12) then reboot your mac and hold down the mouse button at the startup chime...
That'll force any disks in the drive to be ejected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Aptmunich said:
If all else fails (apple + e / dragging to trash / F12) then reboot your mac and hold down the mouse button at the startup chime...
That'll force any disks in the drive to be ejected.
Yes thats all you can do if they dont mount i wonder why apple took the pinhole off that would make life easier

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
benjamindaines said:
Yes thats all you can do if they dont mount i wonder why apple took the pinhole off that would make life easier

I guess it just wasn't "visually appealling" enough with it on there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
sarahsboy18 said:
I guess it just wasn't "visually appealling" enough with it on there.
Thats my one complaint about apple; they are willing to sacrifice functionality for looks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
benjamindaines said:
Thats my one complaint about apple; they are willing to sacrifice functionality for looks
It's not a question of asthetics; if that was the case then there wouldn't be a pinhole mic on the iBook.
The reason is that it is a slot loading drive, so there is no tray to release, which is what happens when you have a pinhole release on a CD drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
D3v1L80Y said:
It's not a question of asthetics; if that was the case then there wouldn't be a pinhole mic on the iBook.
The reason is that it is a slot loading drive, so there is no tray to release, which is what happens when you have a pinhole release on a CD drive.
There isnt a tray but it could move the little thing that pushes the disk out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
It seems like my Powerbook is slow ejecting CDs. Sometimes, I'll accidentally hit the eject button next to F12, which the apple designers seemed to think was a good place to put it (right next to the delete button, that I use a lot!), and that will usually work really fast. But whenever I actually want it to eject, it seems like it takes forever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rs2sensen said:
Sometimes, I'll accidentally hit the eject button next to F12, which the apple designers seemed to think was a good place to put it (right next to the delete button, that I use a lot!)

YES!!!! Finally... I thought I was the only one who did this. That is one of the few things I will, without hesitation, criticize Apple for. Disks never stay in my PB very long because I am constantly spitting them back out at myself..... And DVDs... UGH..... every time you push them back in DVD player has to open and then you have wait to close it and.......

Ok, sorry, enough of that rant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
sarahsboy18 said:
YES!!!! Finally... I thought I was the only one who did this. That is one of the few things I will, without hesitation, criticize Apple for. Disks never stay in my PB very long because I am constantly spitting them back out at myself..... And DVDs... UGH..... every time you push them back in DVD player has to open and then you have wait to close it and.......

Ok, sorry, enough of that rant.

grrrrr! I totally agree with you! Well, I think this is the 2nd kinda odd thing we've agreed on, yesterday it was people with WordPerfect and Publisher!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
And DVDs... UGH..... every time you push them back in DVD player has to open and then you have wait to close it and.......

Well you can turn that behaviour off in the system preferences CD/DVD panel...

I actually think the F12 key is quite an elegant solution, but I suppose each to his own!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I like having the eject button, but I don't like that it is right above the delete button, one of the most commonly used buttons on the keyboard. I'd personally rather it was switched with say, the fn button, which I rarely need to use. Although that puts it next to Shift, but Shift is bigger than delete so it might still work better. Or how about squeezing it in by my arrow keys?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
rs2sensen said:
I like having the eject button, but I don't like that it is right above the delete button, one of the most commonly used buttons on the keyboard. I'd personally rather it was switched with say, the fn button, which I rarely need to use. Although that puts it next to Shift, but Shift is bigger than delete so it might still work better. Or how about squeezing it in by my arrow keys?
Or make it so you have to hold it down for a few seconds

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
benjamindaines said:
Or make it so you have to hold it down for a few seconds
now theres an idea!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.