so this morning i found my external harddrive wouldn't mount on my macbook pro

its a Western Digital my passport 500 gig USB

I tried repairing it in disk utility but i got this message

Verify and Repair disk “COLIN2”
** /dev/disk1s1
** Phase 1 - Read FAT
** Phase 2 - Check Cluster Chains
** Phase 3 - Checking Directories
Unable to read directory (Input/output error)
Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 non HFS volume checked
1 volume could not be repaired because of an error

I'm not really sure what this means exactly but I think I'm savvy enough to figure out its not good.

any ideas on what i should proceed with next to try to make it work again or recover my files.

most of what was on there is backed up elsewhere but there's some stuff I'd like to retrieve. more than anything I'd like to have use of the harddrive back.

is there anyway to get it back that would be cheaper than just getting a new one?

I'm not really looking forward to the hassle of replacing the lost files but it's nothing worth spending alot for an expensive data recovery.

that said, any suggestions or help at all would be greatly appreciated.

-Colin

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The drive may be defective. When did you purchase it? Western Digital normally warrants their drives for 3 years. You might want to give them a call and see if they will issue you an RMA and swap it out for a new one.

As far as getting your data back, you're probably going to have to spend some money for recovery software. I recommend Data Rescue 3. You can download a trial version to see if it can get your data back. If it does, purchase a license. $99 Well worth it.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.