add bookmarks comand not working in safari

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
I've done a reinstall(Safari), will not add bookmark. I've got a mac book pro running snow leopard, I've done a search on the web and only see something on the apple site for when you are running Japanese which I am not.
Any ideas.

Kelly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Welcome to Mac-Forums!

Start by repairing permissions, preferably using OnyX Titanium Software for your OS.

Do you use a keyboard command (Cmd-D), or mouse to the menu bar?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
no, I donot use the keyboard command, but I ahve now tried both and it does not add the bookmark.

Kelly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I know this may seem a bizarre question, but when you try to bookmark a site, are you actively connected to it, and do you have cookies enabled for that site?
Back in the bad old browser days, and dialup, one could not bookmark a site unless one was connected to it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And it is simply not a matter of hitting Add Bookmark Kelly. You do need to manually select where the bookmark is to be placed, Bookmark Menu or Toolbar.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
yep did all that, ran onyx, no deal still will not add a bookmark

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
I'm trying to add a bookmark to a folder, I've tried other folder and other website, nothing works. It lets you add the bookmark and thne the bookmark is not there.

Kelly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
It sounds like it's not going where you are expecting it to go, rather than not being created at all. Try selecting Bookmarks Menu to bookmark a new page. This should add the bookmark to the bottom of the list. Click on Bookmarks > Show All Bookmarks in the menu bar at the top of your screen. Is it there?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
Looks like it will add it to my favorites but to no folder under favorites. Weird HUH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try drag and drop from Favorites to the Bookmark folder. Then click Bookmarks > Show All Bookmarks ... what's the display?

Do saved bookmarks (in Favs folder) show along the top menu bar of Safari?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What's this talk of "Favorites" in Safari??? Bookmarks can be added to the Bookmarks Menu or the Bookmarks Bar. The latter show up below the Toolbar. The former can hold folders and sub-folders. Normal behavior allows you to place a new bookmark in a sub-folder or in no folder at all.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
What's this talk of "Favorites" in Safari??? Bookmarks can be added to the Bookmarks Menu or the Bookmarks Bar. The latter show up below the Toolbar. The former can hold folders and sub-folders. Normal behavior allows you to place a new bookmark in a sub-folder or in no folder at all.

OK I have a folder named kelly's favorites, it has subfolders, I can add a bookmark to kelly's favorites but to no subfolders.

Kelly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you don't explain why not, I don't have any clues to work with.
Take me through what you do, and then what happens...

When I choose Add Bookmark... I get a small box below the tab bar with the URL and then my choice of location in the form of a drop-down list. Clicking on the up/down arrow allows me to "drill down" as far as I want, to at least three levels. I don't know if my "tree" goes any farther.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
If you don't explain why not, I don't have any clues to work with.
Take me through what you do, and then what happens...

When I choose Add Bookmark... I get a small box below the tab bar with the URL and then my choice of location in the form of a drop-down list. Clicking on the up/down arrow allows me to "drill down" as far as I want, to at least three levels. I don't know if my "tree" goes any farther.

I do the same thing to add a bookmark, the problem is, it lets me add the bookmark, but when i go back to use it again, the bookmark is not there. I have a one to one on Monday, I'm going to see what the apple people say. I'll keep yawl updated. THX for everyone's help.

Kelly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I click the up/down arrow, the folder structure under Bookmarks Menu is completely revealed. Is that the case for you?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
When I click the up/down arrow, the folder structure under Bookmarks Menu is completely revealed. Is that the case for you?

Yes, I just don't have any of the bookmarks I have save recently, in the folders.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wrong version of Safari for your OS?

too many bookmarks? (I think that's possible, but it would be a large number)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.