Ipad and text ebooks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
I was test driving the Ipad in Best Buy to see if it would replace my wonderful, but aging, Rocketbook Ereader for which I have several thousand text ebooks. Despite getting a balance between two answers (yes and no) about whether or not the Ipad would allow the user to load his own ebooks, it appears that the answer is yes.

Questions. Any ebook users out there that read ordinary text books on their Ipad and which app would you recommend? Or, alternatively, which apt should I not waste my money on?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
I'm not sure if this is the correct answer or not, but I'll ask this--what format are your books in?? I'm certain that "iBooks" supports the Epub format, but other apps are available for .pdf and other formats. I've put several Epub books that I downloaded for free on the iPad and they look really good considering they weren't designed specifically for the iPad.

OP
cptkrf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure if this is the correct answer or not, but I'll ask this--what format are your books in?? I'm certain that "iBooks" supports the Epub format, but other apps are available for .pdf and other formats. I've put several Epub books that I downloaded for free on the iPad and they look really good considering they weren't designed specifically for the iPad.

Mostly .txt files, but also a lot of .htm, .pdb, .rb and .pdf files.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Right now, iBooks and the Kindle reader are the only "ebook" readers that are optimized for the iPad screen real estate.

You should probably look into GoodReader and Comic Zeal. Do a little format comparison to see what you'll need. But I think these 4 are the best out there currently.

I would think B&N, ereader.com and Stanza should have apps headed our way.

Reaction score
Mostly .txt files, but also a lot of .htm, .pdb, .rb and .pdf files.

Get yourself a copy of the free eBook reader program Stanza, it is available for multiple operating systems including OS X and Winders.

Open each book you want to read on your iPad. For each book that you can open, thus not protected by DRM, export that book in ePub format. Put them all in one folder.

Start iTunes, use Add To Library to import your books. Get the free iBooks app from Apple. Read your books.

See http://macsaregreat.com/?p=396

OP
cptkrf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. Thanks for the replies, everyone.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Download Calibre. It will manage your book library and can convert to pub format for import into iBooks.

OP
cptkrf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. Good advice everyone.
Calibre works wonderfully. It converts just about anything that has words in a row. The file it makes just has to be dragged and dropped into Itunes. I use Interparse to clean up any jammed together text.

Fix..Drag..Drop..Convert..Drag..Drop..Read.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.