Problem with shared folders

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Mac Mini and a Macbook Pro and sharing files from the Mini to the Macbook is fine but when I enable file sharing on the Macbook the home folder and the root disk can be accessed from the Mini even though the folders are not added in System preferences \ Sharing. Also if I get info on the home and hard disk file sharing is not enabled.

How can I remove the sharing from these folders on the Macbook?

Thanks in advance,
Will

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi,

I have a Mac Mini and a Macbook Pro and sharing files from the Mini to the Macbook is fine but when I enable file sharing on the Macbook the home folder and the root disk can be accessed from the Mini even though the folders are not added in System preferences \ Sharing. Also if I get info on the home and hard disk file sharing is not enabled.

How can I remove the sharing from these folders on the Macbook?

It sounds like you are logging into it as a user that already exists on that Macbook. I assume that, in your Finder window, you are selecting the Macbook from the list under "Shared". When you first select it, do you see a message above the list of folders that intially says "Connecting", then changes to "Connected as:username"?

OP
M
Reaction score
I think you've answered it for me, as I'm logging on as the admin user of the macbook I automatically have rights to the home and root disk. If I connect as a different user, or as a guest, I can only see the shared folder.

Now I don't suppose you know how I would remove a phantom share server from the shared folder view? I think I created it when first building the mac mini and powering it down by accident while it was building from the macbook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.