New convert!

Reaction score
Hi all,

I finally did it! I'm out of country right now and was too impatient to buy one when I got home, so I ordered a new 13" MBP and it should be at my home waiting for me when I arrive :)

Using my friend's MBP is what sucked me in to buy my own. I don't know if I'll ever convert fully (I build desktop PCs here and there as a hobby) but I guess time will tell.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Using my friend's MBP is what sucked me in to buy my own. I don't know if I'll ever convert fully (I build desktop PCs here and there as a hobby) but I guess time will tell.

Hey...nothing wrong with checking out the other guys (Macintosh)...you might like a lot that you see!:)

And WOW...purchasing your own MBP when you're really sort of just curious...is a pretty big step!:)

Enjoy it,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Enjoy. I reckon that after 6 months with a Mac you'll never use a PC again. You can just build them for others, and repair them when they go wrong (no accusing you of bad workmanship btw!)
Welcome to the other side.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Welcome and congratulations on your first Mac!
Plenty of people use both Windows and Macs. No harm in that. Feel free to post back on these forums with any questions.
Also, be sure you go to apple.com and check out the Switcher 101 and Mac 101 links on the Support page.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hey...nothing wrong with checking out the other guys (Macintosh)...you might like a lot that you see!:)

And WOW...purchasing your own MBP when you're really sort of just curious...is a pretty big step!:)

Enjoy it,

- Nick

Thanks! I played with his laptop almost daily for a month or so. I own an iPhone so I had some experience with the multi touch. Having it on the laptop got me HOOKED

Enjoy. I reckon that after 6 months with a Mac you'll never use a PC again. You can just build them for others, and repair them when they go wrong (no accusing you of bad workmanship btw!)
Welcome to the other side.

Time will tell! What kept me with PC is being a gamer at heart. But with Blizzard already making Mac games, and Steam moving over to Mac, there's not much keeping me

Welcome and congratulations on your first Mac!
Plenty of people use both Windows and Macs. No harm in that. Feel free to post back on these forums with any questions.
Also, be sure you go to apple.com and check out the Switcher 101 and Mac 101 links on the Support page.

Will do! I've already asked some NAS questions, and I have a calibration question sitting on the photo forum ;)

Can you recommend a low priced (200ish~300) 24" monitor that will be easy to calibrate (or just can mimic the MBP's awesome display) and have great colors for photo editing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
Can you recommend a low priced (200ish~300) 24" monitor that will be easy to calibrate (or just can mimic the MBP's awesome display) and have great colors for photo editing?

a few graphic designers I know seem to have fetishes for ViewSonic - their higher end models. The problem is I think they're rather pricey, and their model naming scheme can be somewhat ambiguous; if that makes any sense.

In case this hasn't been covered, you will need an adapter to hook the MBP up to a standard DVI monitor. I bought one off ebay for about ten bucks.
Mini DisplayPort - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm assuming you're in the USA? If you are, I suggest buying one from a seller in the US. If you're not based inthe US, I suggest buying one from the same country.
Mini Displayport DP to DVI adapter For MacBook Pro Air - eBay (item 140391594173 end time May-14-10 19:33:22 PDT)

I have one of these as well for when I hook my MBP 15" to a projector.
Mini Displayport to VGA adapter For MacBook Air Pro 15" - eBay (item 280495324902 end time May-18-10 20:31:04 PDT)

...AND...

I have one of these in case I have to hook the machine up to a TV.
Mini Displayport To HDMI Short Cable Adapter Converter - eBay (item 110513371244 end time May-28-10 10:01:38 PDT)

Next time I fly I'll probably get accosted by the TSA for all the weird adapters and cables I carry.

Enjoy it,

- Nick

That's exactly what I did three years ago with a black MB 13!" :D
I figured what better way to learn than to jump right in.
However, many of my Windows habits are still evident. For example, I always partition the hard drives into two partitions. I use the second partition exclusively for storage of huge files; formatted to non journaled HFS.

Anyone else do that?

I tend to ramble on and on after I read too much...

TBW

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" i7, 4 GB RAM, 500GB HDD 7200 rpm, High Res/Anti-Glare screen
Hi!

Congrats on your new Mac!
I just ordered my first MBP as well! I hope we are going to be happy with our purchases!

It sounds like you know a great deal about computers, so maybe I`ll drop some mac/windows questions to you later ;D

See you around, and it`s great to have you on the mac-team :D

TBW

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.