Cannot copy content folders to external drives?!? Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Brand NEW iMac!!
I work from both home and an office and basically all over. I recently just bought a brand new iMac for my home office (which I am totally in love with) and I am having some trouble with using portable USB & external HDs in order to transport my files.I had an old Powerbook G4 before this and never ran into this issue.

When I try to move a folder from my iMac to any external drive it gives me a message saying that I cannot copy the folder because a folder by that name already exists... when there is no folder by the same name at all! I tried changing the name of the folder, and I still get the same error with the different name?!?! I thought maybe it was just that one folder but no it happens with ALL of them?!?!

I am have tried everything I could think of to NO avail :[

Does anyone have any ideas, or suggestions? I really need to be able to move folders to and from these drives for my job. ANY help is appreciated.

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What kind of folders are you trying to move? It sounds like it may be a matter of permissions that is causing the error. Assuming of course the drives you're copying to are either HFS+ or FAT-32 formatted.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Brand NEW iMac!!
They are just regular folders filled with various types of files. I have never changed any permissions or formats that I know of....?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
I had the same issue when I was copying several folders of pictures from backup Cd's to an external hard drive when I bought my iMac. What worked for me was to create an empty folder with the name I wanted on the external drive and then copy the files over to that drive. If I tried to just drag the folder to the drive to copy that way, it would give the error. Only by dragging the files into a newly created folder was I able to copy them.

There was no pattern to what folders would give the error as some of the copied fine. But this was a workable solution for me. I now have no problem adding files to any of the folders on the external drive now that the folders are there. I don't know if it will work for you, but it is something to try.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Brand NEW iMac!!
I have tried the copy and paste method... still won't work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.