Microsoft Word "Save as PDF" landscape mode print dialog

Reaction score
Hello folks

If you have a word document that alternates between portrait and landscape pages and try to save that file as a PDF, word will only save from page 1 to the first landscape page, then show a print dialog.

I've tested this with several documents and I'm assuming this is default behavior (for some reason?!)..

Is there any way to avoid this and just get the document to save itself without any problems?

Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
You are using Word to make a pdf? I didn't know it had that capability.

I just use Print, then hit the PDF button, then save as a pdf.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To the OP:

Probably normal behavior for Word. The fact that you're going from portrait to landscape causes the print function to stop when saving to PDF. I don't know of a way to change it.

BTW, it does not do that with a Word document - I have some that use both modes. Why it does it when exporting to PDF, I don't know. Might be a good question to post to the MS MVPs that hang out in the MS Mac Office Forum.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip chscag. I asked the question in the MS Mac forums and got this reply:

Unfortunately, no, this cannot be avoided. Your only option is to create
multiple PDFs then join them into a single file using Apple's Preview.app or
one of the PDF 'stitcher' utilities available -- most of which are freeware
or nominal shareware.

FWIW, this is not Word's doing. The PDF engines available for the Mac OS as
well as many other print drivers are not written to handle section breaks
elegantly, especially where layout changes (margins, orientation) occur.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
FWIW, this is not Word's doing. The PDF engines available for the Mac OS as well as many other print drivers are not written to handle section breaks elegantly, especially where layout changes (margins, orientation) occur.

Which is their way of saying, "we were too lazy to do this properly, so we used some other code which works badly."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.