Saving whole PDF files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MAC OS X - 10.5.8, 2,13GHZ, Intel Core 2 Duo, FF
Hi,

after going through some PDF files I do care to copy/save those PDF files that interest me but as a whole file i.e. with all its content!

However, I do end up getting the picture content of a PDF file saved, and only some text within that file again as pictures.

If I open those PDF "picture" files they do open in small windows, as it seems I cant increase the size in anyway! Unfortunately, the main text of the PDF file's are missing.

I havent a clue how this happens, as far as I am concerned I do save the PDF files that I found interesting that I went through just minutes before...

Am I doing something wrong while saving PDF files?

What's the difference between copying a file(that you read), and saving a file?

How to edit here subject line?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Are you finding these pdf files on a web page and then trying to save them to your hard drive? If so, what web browser are you using?

I'm not sure if you can edit your subject line. I seem to remember a moderator doing that for me once.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Tomacsh,

I am aware I have asked few questions in my above posting, but they are all related to one issue.

I have to go through lots of data/report based documents most often on websites some on FTP.

Well, I care to save them first on my HDD, to go through them offline. If they meet my needs, I will than later sort them into folders in my email account - I am using FF as my main browser.

I would prefer to be able to re-name those files and sort them into topic based folders in my email account, and not leave them just as a draft "email", in my email account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I open those PDF "picture" files they do open in small windows, as it seems I cant increase the size in anyway! Unfortunately, the main text of the PDF file's are missing.

What's the difference between copying a file(that you read), and saving a file?
Do these "picture files" have an extension at the end of the file name? If so, what is it? Also, what program are you using to open them? Try using Preview if you haven't done so.

I would prefer to be able to re-name those files and sort them into topic based folders in my email account, and not leave them just as a draft "email", in my email account.
Ok, if you're using FF for email, then it's web-based. That type of e-mail account tends to be less flexible. But, I'm not sure that Mail or Entourage would allow you to rename a message either. A way around that would be to forward it to yourself and change the name before you hit Send. That would be a pain, so hopefully someone else knows a quicker way to rename emails.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

thank you for your suggestions.

I have tried PDF preview, but has been to no use; if thats the application that you are talking about!

As to pic/images they should be normal files, but some might have hand drawings!

As it seems I have files ending in:

part
images001 etc
dl4
pdf.part
xls

IS there a specific setting, that I might have overlooked?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
HD/Users/YourUserName/Applications/Preview.app is what I'm talking about. The .app extension might be turned off, but there's no "Pdf" in the name of it.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the ".part" extension stands for partial, but I'm not finding any info on it. I don't see any setting in Preview's preferences that would help with this either.

.xls is the extension for Microsoft's Excel, as you may know. If you do, then you also know that you need Excel installed to open those.

The images001 etc. one seems to be describing filenames without extensions. The most common would be .jpg, which should also open in Preview, I believe.

To get all extensions to show, click on the background (Desktop) then go the Menu Bar and select Finder > Preferences then Advanced and check the box to show extensions. Then let us know if those image files are .jpg or something else.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

can "part" mean partially enhanced file?

If, so what are the issues here to consider?

I did search and checked up all those extensions, but couldnt find anything to help me further to solve these issues...

Also, if a file has several differing media extensions, lets assume I do have all the most common software; why is it not possible on Mac to make the file open those software on its own that is most appropriate?

How to proceed if one file contains several differing extension?

Having followed your advise I was able to list file extensions. These seem to be pic/media file extensions I can see their thumbnails as pictures, but are they all from one file only that I am trying to open?

Text in a PDF file, that turns into picture files (why I havent a clue), file extensions incl. .jpg, bmp, rtf, tif, gif, psp, txt,pps, mpa, xls, drw, 3d!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.