Copying images

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MAC OS X - 10.5.8, 2,13GHZ, Intel Core 2 Duo, FF
Hi,

does anyone know what actually happens, if one copy's an image i.e. if you click on the "copy tab" in the small window that appears.

Me a newbie cant seem to figure out, where my copied images go to!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hitting "copy" doesn't immediately actually duplicate what you are "copying". The data/file/text information is temporarily stored until you "paste" it to wherever you want it at.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi lifeisabeach,

thank you for your reply.

I am aware of that, but having used the paste function few times it has been always empty. Or do I need to click a certain time to get it pasted, or use a certain key to be able to paste a copy to a location?

Or is there a default setting for this, if so where is it? It might go to a location, that I am not aware about?

Also, do you know is there a function as on a windows OS called "sent to", if so where is that function/tab?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I am aware of that, but having used the paste function few times it has been always empty. Or do I need to click a certain time to get it pasted, or use a certain key to be able to paste a copy to a location?

Or is there a default setting for this, if so where is it? It might go to a location, that I am not aware about?

Also, do you know is there a function as on a windows OS called "sent to", if so where is that function/tab?

Well it'd be more helpful to know what app you are using this copy "tab" in. The fact that it doesn't behave the way you and I expect it to suggests you are using some other feature entirely.

As for a "Send to" type of option, the services menu should have similar features. I'm not on my Mac at the moment, so can't be more specific.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

I am not sure if I understood what you want to know.

While going through pic/images that I received via email, to copy them into a certain pic/image folder!

In regards to the "send to" function, I couldnt find that on my "services menu"...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am not sure if I understood what you want to know.

While going through pic/images that I received via email, to copy them into a certain pic/image folder!

In regards to the "send to" function, I couldnt find that on my "services menu"...

I wanted to know what application you are using so I can figure out what this "copy tab" is that you are talking about.

Well I'll just assume you are using Mail, that came with OS X. There is no copy "tab" anywhere that I know of… just the menu item under "Edit". In Mail, that seems to only work for selected text, which strikes me as being rather inconsistent. Just right-click on your images instead and use "Copy Image". Assuming it is Mail that you are using.

As for a "Send to" function… nope, there isn't anything relevant to Mail, as it turns out. Something probably could be made to work in that manner. In fact, starting with Snow Leopard, you can actually make Automator workflows that can be used in the Services menu.
Quick Tip: Automator and Services in Snow Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I believe the OP is referring to a contextual menu.

If you're in Finder (your menu at the top must say Finder at the left side) and you right-click (or control-click) on an item, the little box that comes up is a contextual menu. If you choose "copy" that item is stored on the computer's "clipboard". This is invisible to you. But, if you open a different folder's window and go to Edit > Paste in the menu bar, the item will then be copied to that folder.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi lifeisabeach,

thanks all for your comments.

Still a newbie Mac user; through trial and error I am trying to understand what "automator" is about - so far its all trial more time needed to explore...!

Tomacsh, thanks for your inputs. On the "contextual menu" or anywhere on the menus is there a "sent to..." tab as can be found on Windows?

Also, how can I make "clipboard" content visible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tomacsh, thanks for your inputs. On the "contextual menu" or anywhere on the menus is there a "sent to..." tab as can be found on Windows?

No. But I'm told it might be possible to add that through the Services Menu commands. I'm not familiar with the procedure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
how can I make "clipboard" content visible?

In Finder > Edit > Show Clipboard.

To send an item (eg. a word, or line of text, or image) elsewhere, select that item and then click on the name of the application you're using (or Finder) and choose Send To. Where it will be sent depends on what applications accept what is being sent (if that makes sense!!).
An example: if I select a word from this paragraph, and then use the Send To process as outlined, I have a choice of only two options, one of them being an application called ShoveBox. I can use SB later to transfer the selection to where I want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
... (if that makes sense!!).

Nope, not to me. I'm intrigued though, and would like to try it out. This is where you lose me:
"click on the name of the application you're using"...

Where am I clicking the app's name???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Nope, not to me. I'm intrigued though, and would like to try it out. This is where you lose me: "click on the name of the application you're using"...
Where am I clicking the app's name?

Top menu bar.

Example: I'm using the Camino browser to compose this. I highlight the word QUOTE and then mouse to Camino in the top menu bar (next to the blue apple), and select Services > Send To.

Check through all the Services options because there may be other applications there to which you can Send items.

ShoveBox (if interested) Download ShoveBox for Mac - Menubar item to store text, images, URLs, and more. MacUpdate Mac Software Downloads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. But, I don't have Send To in that contextual menu. (Safari 4.0.5 and OS 10.5.8) And my apple is black. ;) I do have Send File To Bluetooth Device... but there is Send Selection and Send To in the Mail sub-menu.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

You are running 10.5.8, right? You may be in luck… here's a Services addon that is supposed to work much like Windows' "Send to" feature. It does NOT appear to work in 10.6, largely due to changes made in the Services feature in Snow Leopard.

EGO Systems, Inc. : Products : Send To CMI for Mac OS X

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

sorry for my late reply.

Thank you for the link, seems very useful feature exactly what I was looking for.

Though, wondering why has it been download so few times only!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.