os X tiger wont boot after combination update 10.4.11

Reaction score
hi can anybody help me please, i have a problem with my G4 MDD

i recently tried updating from 10.3.9 panther to 10.4 tiger and have had some issues,

firstly when i tried to just upgrade the operating system i kept getting errors on disc 4 of the installation media it kept saying there where errors please try installing again and i had to keep going back to disc 2,

after about 4 attempts i decided i would go for a fresh install which went without a hitch and installed first time without errors,

after installing i used 'software update' to look for updates,
it found several updates incl iTunes phone driver, DVD player and more importantly combination update 10.4.11

i chose to install all, all installed fine except 10.4.11 which reported that there was a problem and that it may have been tampered with after it had been signed by apple, i then restarted the machine

after the restart i then went back to 'software update' and 10.4.11 was found again but did not report as being tampered with,

i clicked install and the install began, half way through the install i got a big grey box stating "you need to restart your computer, hold down the power button for a few seconds or hit the reset button"

i did this by holding down power button, i then powered back up the mac chimes as normal but will no longer boot,
all i have is a pale blue screen, i have left it for over an hour but nothing happens.

please can anybody tell me where the problem maybe?
also is it possible to be a hardware problem, if so what?

any help greatly appreciated

thanks
glen

p.s. spec is G4 MDD single 1.25Ghz cpu, 1.25gb ram, 10gb IDE HDD for OS,
120gb IDE for storage, HP DVD/RW drive

thanks again
glen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
firstly when i tried to just upgrade the operating system i kept getting errors on disc 4 of the installation media it kept saying there where errors please try installing again and i had to keep going back to disc 2,

Disc 4?

OP
G
Reaction score
well i have 4 discs (cd-r's) and it tells me i need them all,

i am in the uk, maybe the installation media is different in australia

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Where did you get these discs?
Can you post a picture of these discs?

OP
G
Reaction score
i got them from a friend of mine they are backups, he has his own IT company

he has used them loads before without problem, i used them to install fresh and they worked the problem is after i try to install 10.4.11

C

chas_m

Ah! There! Thanks for identifying the problem!

The problem is that you are using an illegal, pirated copy of the OS.

The solution is to buy a legal, retail copy of the OS. Of course, having waited so long to upgrade to Tiger, you'll now pay quite dearly for that retail disc as they're getting scarce; and the Leopard discs are even more expensive.

OP
G
Reaction score
oh really, he said they would work fine as he has used them before and they are an exact clone of his retail disc, ill see if he still has the genuine ones i can borrow

thanks guys
glen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh really, he said they would work fine as he has used them before and they are an exact clone of his retail disc, ill see if he still has the genuine ones i can borrow

thanks guys
glen

That's still illegal!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
using someone's copy of Windows, OSX or any PAY OS is illegal. Windows since XP uses product Activation to help control piracy. OSX DVD that come with a Mac will not install on another Mac unless it has the exact same specs.

But either way, it's against the law to install the same OS license on more than one computer.

You need to get your own legal copy of 10.4 Tiger and it needs to be a full Retail install DVD. There is also a multiple CD copy of 10.4 for older Macs with no DVD drive, but it's hard to find.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Just goes on and on and on doesn't it?

Who asked if there are more PC pirates than Mac?

Buy your own Tiger or Leopard DVD. Full retail install black coloured disc and all silver grey discs will NOT work as they are extremely model specific.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
You are receiving a kernel panic. From what piece of hardware ? Best bet is to reinstall tiger then do the updates one by one until you get to the 10.4.11. Restart the computer before you instal 10.4.11 and hold down the apple+option+p+r keys all at the same time. You'll hear two chimes. After the second chime, release the keys. You need to hold those keys down before you get to the gray screen with the apple logo and the spinning gear.

After your computer reboots, go to apple's site and down load the 10.4.11 update and then install it from the dmg.

See if that works. You can also try the pram reset, apple+option+p+r before you reinstall tiger to see if that works, but I doubt it. Have you tried booting into safe mode? Holding down the shift key on start up?

If it boots, try to repair the permissions. Try going to apple's site and downloading the update and installing it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.