Macbook won't log in to desktop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro (2010) 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM
My friend installed some maintenance software onto his Macbook and since restarting it, it wont log into the desktop. When he powers it on it takes a while before it gets into the login screen. After he enters his password the system just hangs with the desktop background and no dock. Possibly this maintenance software has screwed up a few files within the system. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
OK first thing - before you get help we need to know what OS - what was the maintenance software? More info generally equals better quality help/advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
In that scene my first step would be to download and install this.

OP
robbiemullen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tried resetting the PRAM, now the system is just hanging on the grey screen with the clockwise thing just rotating.

C

chas_m

If the Maintenance program wasn't actually run, just downloaded/installed, then it could not be the culprit.

Could just be coincidence there.

OP
robbiemullen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Managed to get the Macbook to boot into Safe mode. He did a back up of the files he need. I deleted the Maintenance software then verified and repaired disk permissions while in safe mode and then restarted the Macbook (to allow for it to reboot normally) It took some time before it finally got in to the desktop,but it was running slow and felt quiet sluggish.

He has BootCamp (running Windows 7) installed on the Macbook. Is it possible to reinstall the OS X partition without affecting the Windows part?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.