just wanted to say sorry

Reaction score
:Oops:alright thanks for the help you did give me im not sure what OS my ibook will allow me to upgrade to but i am in the process of finding a legal copy of the OS now. like i said im new to the apple community as well as the forums and i should have read all the guidelines before postting anything and thats my fault. and if i offended anybody or defaced this forum i appoligize.

for my next question what would be the the latest OS i could use on a ibook 500mhz 348ish ram computer i don't believe i have a dvd drive either if that helps any and my model year is 2001

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
:Oops:alright thanks for the help you did give me im not sure what OS my ibook will allow me to upgrade to but i am in the process of finding a legal copy of the OS now. like i said im new to the apple community as well as the forums and i should have read all the guidelines before postting anything and thats my fault. and if i offended anybody or defaced this forum i appoligize.

for my next question what would be the the latest OS i could use on a ibook 500mhz 348ish ram computer i don't believe i have a dvd drive either if that helps any and my model year is 2001

10.4 is the newest OSX that machine will run. I would try ebay but be sure you get the black Retail DVD or CD's and not a machine specific version.

Just a note, with 384 megs RAM Tiger will be very slow. I would look into maxing out the RAM. What color is the iBook? A White one with the glowing apple in the top lid?

OP
A
Reaction score
yeah i figure it would run slow with the ram i had i planed i upgrading that as well and think the most i can put in it is 512 which isn't a whole lot more but its something also the ibook i have is white with the glowing apple icon on the top lid

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If your memory is indeed 384ish on that machine then it should have 128 Soldered on the board. The other configuration only had 64 MB soldered on the board so the numbers would be a bit different.

Unless I misread MacTracker the 128 MB versions had either DVD drives or a Combo drive which was a DVD reader and CD-RW burner. If that is the case then you should be good to go as far as DVD versions of 10.4 are concerned. Easiest way to figure out what you have is to pop in a commercial dvd and see if the drive even recognizes it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think sly has it dead on, but to be sure, do you have even 10.3? If so Install it and click on the apple in the top left corner. Then on About this Mac then on More Info. It will tell you under memory what RAM is installed in the machine.

Edit: I just did the math, If there is a 64 on the board a 128 would make it 192. 256 would be a total of 320.

If 128 is on the board then 128 would make the total 256 and 256 would be 384. So Sly has to be correct. You have 128 soldered to the main board. You need a 512MB 3.3volt PC100 So-Dimm.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back in the day when my primary machine was an Apple IIGS I got pretty good at making that 64, 128, 256 calculation to figure out the max amount of memory I could install. Of course in those days you were counting kb and at most 1 MB rather than MB and GB.

OP
A
Reaction score
ok so i checked somethings out 1st thing is that i must have the 128 soldered because i do have 384mb of ram and the 2nd thing that i figured out is that i don't think that i have a dvd or a dvd combo drive :( do to the fact that i put a dvd in the drive and it does some thinking and just spits it back out then if i put a cd in it works fine and opens itunes. but im thinking it could also be another side affect of the crap OS i installed we will just call that karma haha. i guess i deserve that, more questions what kind and where could i purchase more ram for this baby to speed it up a bit. well i know i keep saying this but thanks for all the help.

Reaction score
If your memory is indeed 384ish on that machine then it should have 128 Soldered on the board. The other configuration only had 64 MB soldered on the board so the numbers would be a bit different.

Unless I misread MacTracker the 128 MB versions had either DVD drives or a Combo drive which was a DVD reader and CD-RW burner. If that is the case then you should be good to go as far as DVD versions of 10.4 are concerned. Easiest way to figure out what you have is to pop in a commercial dvd and see if the drive even recognizes it.

The easiest way really did a good job. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27"iMac OS X 10.7.5 Core i5
Back in the day when my primary machine was an Apple IIGS I got pretty good at making that 64, 128, 256 calculation to figure out the max amount of memory I could install. Of course in those days you were counting kb and at most 1 MB rather than MB and GB.

The IIGS was my only machine. At $600 for a 10 meg Vulcan hd I couldn't afford it...:Grimmace:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was my primary machine for a long time as well. Saved a lot of pennies to get one of those Vulcan drives. In fact, when Macs firs appeared I was a little disappointed that Apple did not seem to be putting much effort into marketing the II line (especially the GS).

The IIGS version of the Finder had a lot to do with me choosing the Mac rather than PC when I realized the II line wasn't going to progress further. There was enough similarity that the transition was easy. Besides it beat the pant off of DeskMate and whatever version of Windows (3.1?) that was current at the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27"iMac OS X 10.7.5 Core i5
It was my primary machine for a long time as well. Saved a lot of pennies to get one of those Vulcan drives. In fact, when Macs firs appeared I was a little disappointed that Apple did not seem to be putting much effort into marketing the II line (especially the GS).

The IIGS version of the Finder had a lot to do with me choosing the Mac rather than PC when I realized the II line wasn't going to progress further. There was enough similarity that the transition was easy. Besides it beat the pant off of DeskMate and whatever version of Windows (3.1?) that was current at the time.

Unfortunately money was an issue at the time, and I had already spent 3K on the IIgs. I was drawn to the dark side and bought a Windows pc with a huge 100 meg hd. ;D I've had my iMac for 1.5 weeks but haven't had an opportunity to really do much with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.