need help os messed up??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
alright first off im new to these thing called a mac, so here is my problem i just updated my ibook 500mhz from os 10.3.9 to os 10.4 and to me it seems like everything load correctly i got the 10.4 from a torrent site it was a 4 disk install and like i said it seemed to go smooth until i tried to update the software. and all it does is keep CHECKING FOR NEW SOFTWARE it gets like a 5th of the way with the load bar and just sits there, also when i try to change the desktop background i click system preferences then select desktop and screen saver and it looks like its gonna go then it just closes system preferences. i don't know what to do so any help would be greatly appreceiated, besides those two things i haven't found anything else that doesn't work.

thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
hey the best thing you could do is get osx 10.5, which is leopard, or 10.6 which is the new snow leopard. if you do have 10.4, then that is the old osx, which is tiger. try using one of the new os' and see if it runs fine. If you don't want to get it, then I recommend wiping ur hard drive and re-installing the os that you have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
alright first off im new to these thing called a mac, so here is my problem i just updated my ibook 500mhz from os 10.3.9 to os 10.4 and to me it seems like everything load correctly i got the 10.4 from a torrent site it was a 4 disk install and like i said it seemed to go smooth until i tried to update the software. and all it does is keep CHECKING FOR NEW SOFTWARE it gets like a 5th of the way with the load bar and just sits there, also when i try to change the desktop background i click system preferences then select desktop and screen saver and it looks like its gonna go then it just closes system preferences. i don't know what to do so any help would be greatly appreceiated, besides those two things i haven't found anything else that doesn't work.

thanks in advance

What you've done is illegal, so that is your problem.
There are to be no discussions of illegal activity, and no assistance will be given to you in this respect.
You can get onto ebay, and legally purchase install Tiger discs,or depending on your specs, Leopard discs!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
1. No telling what is wrong dealing with pirated software.

2. From our Community Guidelines
Respect copyrights and the law.
Don’t discuss or conduct content theft or any other illegal activity. Period. We follow U.S. law on the forums, so just because something might be legal in your country doesn’t mean it will be allowed here. If you’re ever in doubt, contact one of the moderators before you post.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
hey the best thing you could do is get osx 10.5, which is leopard, or 10.6 which is the new snow leopard. if you do have 10.4, then that is the old osx, which is tiger. try using one of the new os' and see if it runs fine. If you don't want to get it, then I recommend wiping ur hard drive and re-installing the os that you have.

Just a note for anyone else who sees this. a 500Mhz iBook will not run Leopard. Minimum of an 866Mhz G4 is required. Snow Leopard requires a Machine with an Intel CPU. A G4 is a Power PC. Tiger is the last OSX that can be installed on that machine.

Purchase 10.4 on ebay and it should work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.