Audio editing apps for iPad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
64GB WiFi iPad
Anyone know of an audio editing program for the iPad? I'd like to be able to read, edit, and save MP3 files or whatever format the iPad uses. Something like CoolEdit (later changed to Adobe Auditions, I think).

Actually, what I really want to do with the app is to be able to choose a portion of a song, slow down the temp while maintaining pitch and loop that portion of the song. This would be as an aid to learning the bass or guitar parts of the song.

Ideas welcome!

Thanks!

Bruce

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't have clue if there is one for the iPad. A search of the app store should find it if there is.

Personally, I'd recommend the Amazing Slow Downer for either Windows or OS X.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
64GB WiFi iPad
I've tried searching the apps store without much success. Unfortunately, many apps have names that bear no relation at all to what they do. I've tried entering "audio editing", "sound editing", "looping", and don't see anything come up that looks like it would do what I want.

I used "slow downer" and found an iPhone (or iPod?) app that is iPad compatible and might help. However, you can only push songs from your computer to the app through a browser. You can't use the app to find a song already on the iPad.

Bruce

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PC Baby!
There are several things for the iPhone you could use, but not really anything for the iPad yet. Give it some time, it's not even been out a month yet.....

I play around with Beat Maker of the iPhone on my iPad, and it supports alf and wav files. It's not an audio editor, but a "beat box" , but I am sure there are some on the way.....

Reaction score
Audacity

I believe audacity do a free mac version as well as a pc version

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
There is nothing yet - I've had fun with Beatwave and Korg's iElectribe and I'm keeping a look out for a simple sequencer with sample player. If someone came out with a midi sequencer, I'd be in heaven as it'd be perfect for my Korg Radias.

Reaction score
It seems to me that any legitimate audio application (including the ability to change tempo without changing pitch) takes a lot of computing power. It doesn't seem practical to me for it to be on the iphone. Maybe the iPad??

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
64GB WiFi iPad
Still looking for an app like this on the iPad.

I want to be able to take a song--even one in my iTunes library--and slow it down while maintaining pitch. I'd also like to be able to define a loop. The purpose is for learning a song.

So far, I've only found:
The Amazing Slow Downer
iHeartit

Neither are really iPad apps, but rather iPad compatible apps.

Any others?

Thanks!

Bruce

Reaction score
Hello,

I don't know if these things have tempo change option but keep an eye on :

Sample Lab (to be release soon)

Reforge (reviews seems mitigate, under developed I think)

iSample (iPhone version now but the guy told me that a specific iPad version is on the way...)
Way Out Ware

-------

Reaction score
Snipster for iPad!

Just released to the app store is an app called Snipster for iPad. (iPhone version coming soon!)

This app allows you to use songs already on your iPad, set the start time, end time of any track, allow you to fade it out, and allow you to create play lists, and loop! Basically like an old cart rack.

This program unfortunately does not allow you to slow down the track that is playing, but has all of the other features that were mentioned previously.

Reaction score
have there been any more releases? I'd loved to see something similar to protools/soundforge/nuendo

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.