Problem with my iBook

Reaction score
Hello! For some days I´ve been not able to use certain programs I have on my laptop,
programs such as MSN, Spotify, iTunes and even Safari, the thing is that when I open NeoOffice the other day a message came up saying that in order to use
the program the other user who was using had to close it first and I could even see an IP address, and the truth is that surprised me a bit then I was looking at the configuration and I realized that somehow they could access my laptop remotely, I´ve changed the settings and now it is not accessible, but still I can not use these programs, I also restored the permissions and nothing, and when checking one of the disks I got the following:

Verifying volume “Amaury”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
%)
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Volume Bit Map needs minor repair
Checking volume information.
Invalid volume free block count
Invalid volume free block count
%@ instead of %@)",2)
Volume Header needs minor repair
The volume Amaury needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair

What should I do next??? Please somebody help me, I´m studying in Germany for a few months and I need my laptop to communicate with my family!

Thanks in advance!

Amaury

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What should I do next??? Please somebody help me, I´m studying in Germany for a few months and I need my laptop to communicate with my family!

Boot your iBook with the original install media. (Hopefully, you took it with you to Germany) After it boots, select Disk Utility from the top menu "Utilities". Select the First Aid tab, run verify and repair on the hard drive. After that finishes, run repair permissions.

Note: You must do the above using the install disk that came with your iBook. You can not repair the hard drive while it's mounted. (system is running)

And, make sure you use encryption with your wireless internet connection. If someone was able to access your machine without your permission, it may have been through your connection. Also be sure to turn all sharing off.

Regards.

OP
A
Reaction score
Not working...

Hi! Thanks for Your quick reply, I do have the disks here with me, but the thing is that when I try to run them the pkg file to restore it can´t be opened, so the icon would be like bouncing for a few seconds and then it´s gone, same as when I try to use Msn or Safari... any other suggestions??

Thanks once again!

Amaury

OP
A
Reaction score
Disk

Actually I have 4 dics:

* iBook Software Restore I.
* iBook Software Restore II.
* iBook Install Disc I.
* iBook Install Disc II.

I´ve been trying using the Restore one, was it this one the one you meant?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No. Use your iBook install Disk 1. Insert the disk, reboot the machine and when you hear the chime (POST chime) hold down the C key. It may take a bit for the iBook to boot with the install disk so be patient. After it boots to the install screen, go ahead and select language. But don't allow the install procedure to advance. Select Utilities, Disk Utility, from the top menu and proceed as I wrote you in my first reply.

Let us know if you need any further help.

Regards.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hello again!

Hi again! I´ve done it step by step twice and nothing, still the same thing, when I click on anything ( Example: Safari) the icon bounces once and then stops and nothing else happens... any advice?

Sorry for insisting but I have no other one to ask to!!

Thanks in advance!

Amaury

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.