Protection

Reaction score
I am buying a 15" Pro here in a few days. Yay for upgrades! And i am considering getting a trackpad protection along with the keyboard. Is it worth getting those? will they actually perform? what would be good ones to get if they are worth it? Thanks ladies and gents

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
The question whether to get protection for your trackpad and keyboard depends on your situation. Are you planning on eating and drinking around your laptop a lot? IMO that's mostly the reason why you would need protection. Also some people don't like the feel of those protection covers so it's up to you.

I have never used any of those protection covers during my years of computer usage but if you are one of those people who tends to spill stuff on your computer then you may want to invest in protection. The other reason might be for people who likes to keep their computers very clean. I'm not one of those people. The little amount of dirt that does get on my laptop I just wipe it off with a cloth. I don't really care that much though.

OP
L
Reaction score
well i dont eat or drink near the computer. my thing is dust getting under the keys which is what i saw a bit on my previous mac. i often have it sitting open for a bit to perform tasks. Dont think the feel of the protectant would bother me but i guess more or less i am curious if putting that stuff on will effect the cooling of the computer itself and if the accuracy of hitting the keys will stay the same as if the protection layer was not there. I hope that made sense

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You don't really need to worry about dust. The manufacturers have factored in the dust problem so it won't damage your laptop. I've used several laptops in my lifetime and there are many times when I have left it sitting their performing tasks and none have been damaged due to dust.

I believe one or two people on this forum have covers but I don't know if they check the forums regularly so they probably won't see your post. The covers aren't that expensive so it won't cost you much to try them out. I can't really help you more than that since I don't have any covers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem about providing input. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15"matt, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB RAM
Isn't heat dissipation an issue with covering up the keyboards?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.