• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple users acount for zero per-cent of all worldwide spam sent

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Apple users acount for zero per-cent of all worldwide spam sent
Linux Machines Surprisingly Linked to Spam - PCWorld Business Center

According to the article:

Windows users create 92.65% percent of the spam
Linux users create 5.14% of the spam
Apple users create 0% of the spam
And others create 2.22% of the spam

The article then goes to say the roughly 1% of the OS market that is Linux creates roughly 5% spam. So that's 5x more spam than it has marketshare.

And it just goes to show Apple users are not interested in sending spam to the world. They are to busy using their Apple prosucts for more productive uses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Actually I think it shows that spammers are just out to make money so they probably buy the cheapest computer they need.

Why spend $2,000 on a program when you're just going to set up a bot and let it eat.

I'm sure there are spammers that also own and use Apple computers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I think the report is less about what the spammers are using, but what systems they are hi-jacking to send spam on their behalf.

No real surprise that the Mac has 0%, but a little odd that linux is being used by so many systems, unless they are directly sending spam and there are some good spam sending tools for Linux out there, perhaps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
FTA -
ISPs use a lot of Linux in their server farms. E-mail headers, which can show the route of an e-mail from sender to recipient, can be spoofed, but the last link in the chain is accurate. So if a Windows PC on an ISP's network is spamming, the spam would go through the ISP's Linux servers, contributing to the high Linux spam ratio, Wood said.

"We're hoping to follow that up with a little bit more in-depth research," Wood said.

So if you take into account that a lot of ISPs use linux to serve mail you can see where that number comes from.

And again - it does go to show there is very little malware for Mac so point all your worrywart friends who just switched to the article.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.