G5 Mother Board busted, how much for a new one?

Reaction score
So my computer started freezing when I would turn it on.

Took it to a shop and they told me it needed a new motherboard and that it would cost $800-$900 to fix and put back together. That seems like quite a bit...does anyone know how I might be able to get the mother board fixed for a little bit less? Is there any reliable way to buy the parts online myself, and then install them myself?

Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
The only way is to find a buy for parts G5 on ebay, that will still cost a bit, and if it is too steep, you may want to save the dollars towards a new intel mac

But first try and start it from the restore DVD that came with it and tell us if it boots from that first.

Insert the restore DVD and restart pressing the C key

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed with Mac SK and Louishen.

First though, what G5 is this? Tower? IMac? Do you know the basic specs? That will help us help you.

Also do you have the OSX DVD that came with the machine? If so boot with the option key down (it's that key on my G5) and load the Apple Hardware Test. If it will load, run the extended test.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And if a tower a PCI, PCI_X or PCIe model? There are many, many logic boards and you will need to find out the precise model. And was that shop an Apple dealer coz otherwise it was a waste of time (and maybe money).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.