Is the Mac Mini case earthed?

Reaction score
Hi

I modified my Mini and added 1Gb of memory stick. It was fun stripping down the machine and putting it back together (not!).

However, when I took it apart I noticed a lot of earth tags.

My Mini is up and running now and I metred it yesterday. I was surprised that the metal casing did not appear to be earthed. I put one prong on the casing and the other on an earth source, the radiator. They were not common (ie both earthed).

Is that normal or have I re-assembled it wrongly?

I would normally expect the casing (chasis) to be earthed to stop radio interference from getting in.

Tc

Thanks,
Tc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
TangoCharlie said:
Hi

I modified my Mini and added 1Gb of memory stick. It was fun stripping down the machine and putting it back together (not!).

However, when I took it apart I noticed a lot of earth tags.

My Mini is up and running now and I metred it yesterday. I was surprised that the metal casing did not appear to be earthed. I put one prong on the casing and the other on an earth source, the radiator. They were not common (ie both earthed).

Is that normal or have I re-assembled it wrongly?

I would normally expect the casing (chasis) to be earthed to stop radio interference from getting in.

Tc

Thanks,
Tc
It's been awhile since university physics, but I don't think that it maters whether the chasis is grounded or not to sheild RF interference. Sometimes chasis on electronix aren't grounded to prevent accidental shorts and discharges and such.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.