Mac to windows

Reaction score
I have on a mac running OS 10.2 and more than 5000 graphic files made in photoshop.

Not I have to transfer them to windows. I have transferred the files, but there is no extension and windows can not open them

How do I do that, so windows can read all these files. I know there are some converters for other issues, but is there also one to transfer graphic files from mac to windows ?

Reaction score
What kind of graphic files are they? If the are JPG then you just need to add the extension .jpg to the end of the file name. Windows chooses what application to use based off the extension.

OP
R
Reaction score
Actually I don´t know what type it is. When saving these files, photoshop has just saved them without any extension, as this work on mac
I have tried to use .jpg .tiff etc on the pc, but this won´t work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 17" MBP, Mini x2
Are you sure they have no extension, or are file extensions for known file types turned off in Windows Folder Options?

Photoshop's default save format is usually a .PSD. If you have PS installed on Windows, try right clicking on it, picking Open With, and choosing Photoshop from the list (you might need to browse to it manually if it's not in the list).

If that doesn't do it and they really do have no extension, rename one of them to whatever.PSD and then double click it - if PS is installed it should automatically use it to open the file.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do you have Photoshop on the PC? I bet they are PSD files. That is default for Photoshop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Which version of PS are you running on your Mac?

You will probably need to export the entire library either way.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did you try adding .psd at the end of one of the files on the Windows system?

OP
R
Reaction score
Even I try to upload it here as .psd file, it says it is not a valid psd format.

It is photoshop version 4 running on the mac

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Version 4? Wow that is quite old. It's been so long since I ever tried version 4 of PS I can't remember if the files are compatible or not. Although I thought PSD's were PSD's but could be wrong.

I have an old version of photoshop that came on 5 floppies for older Macs with OS7 or older. Not sure what the version was.

C

chas_m

Yes, the files are probably too old to be read in CS4.

Photoshop 4.0 was from 1996, and 10.2 is utterly obsolete. You might as well be asking it to read an Appleworks floppy!

You're going to need to open -- every one of those 5,000 files on the old Mac and re-save them for PC compatibility (with extension and so forth). You should probably try to find someone with a more recent version of PS for the Mac, they may be able to do this as a batch job and save you a lot of time.

This job really should have been done a decade ago ... I'm not sure CS5 on the Mac could even open those files!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.