Help with the keyboard backlighting?!

S

sayo

I have a problem with my keyboard backlighting, i found that a guy posted the exact same question but didnt really get a clear answer a long time ago, now that I've encountered the same problem, I'd thought I'd post it again.

My backlighting keyboard doesn't work, it used to! the F8-F10 keys dont do anything for me. The suggestion from the Apple site askes me to look in both display and keyboard in preferences. But there simply IS NO "Automatically adjust brightness as ambient light changes" or "Illuminate keyboard in low light conditions" option to tick?!

Is there something wrong with my OS? I'm running 10.3.9, the latest as I know it?!!

Thanks for any help!

OP
X

xthisisRomancex

ok i dont have a powerbook but in my ibook if you go to system prefernces and then to keboard and mice. Under the tab keyboard if there is nothing there then go to the keyboard short cuts tab and look in there maybe some how it was unchecked

OP
S

sayo

thanks for your reply!

sorry man, but there's nothing to uncheck... thats the weird thing! there's supposed to be, otherwise apple wouldn't give that tip... thats the strange thing?!

OP
S

sonofapplepm

This is what i have under system prefs> keyboard and mice> keyboard!
Look near the bottom! Hope this helps.

Picture 1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
try turning it to 5 mins

and did you try logging out then back in

and goto energy saver and set processor performance to highest

OP
S

sayo

I think the problem must be that I've gotten some messed up version of OS X when I first bought the powerbook, see I have the exact same preferences but without the minute toggle... and I know my PB has keyboard backlighting, It worked fine for a month... the whole thing is MESSED UP!!! Now, I'm gonna have it serviced... but I know that I only have hardware warranty, this seems to be hardware and software or?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Repair disc permissions, reset pram. Those are the first things I do when i have a problem. If those don't work, you can always just try reinstalling OS X.

OP
S

sayo

rs2sensen said:
Repair disc permissions, reset pram. Those are the first things I do when i have a problem. If those don't work, you can always just try reinstalling OS X.

Thanks for your reply mate! By repairing disc permissions, do you mean changing all the user permissions? What do you mean by pram? Preferences? Hehe I need to get better with the mac-lingo!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
OP
T

Tel

Is it a 12" PowerBook by any chance? I don't really see the point in the backlight anyway, sure they are quite cool and I would have it turned on if I had it but its just not good for your eyes to stare at an LCD in complete darkness.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think it's fine, I prefer working in the dark when I'm doing design work, I get to see the real thing I'm working on better than how the lighting of my room might effect it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Tel said:
Is it a 12" PowerBook by any chance?

Was backlit keyboards an option on 12" PB's?

OP
T

Tel

I didn't think the backlight came with the 12" PowerBook. I wasn't giving my opinion about working in the dark either, the fact is it is bad for your eyes, just the same as watching TV in the dark (unless its a Phillips Ambilight, as they're designed for that) you're supposed to have some form of back light so that your iris' don't have to work over time at every colour change, and a fairly dim backlight isn't going to effect the colour of an LCD monitor.

OP
S

sayo

Nope its a 15" PB. I'll live without the backlight, its just annoying when stuff thats supposed to work doesnt, and it could be an indication that something else is messed up as well... Repairing disc permissions and reseting prams, does that affect my files at all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
No, they only affect system stuff... (basically).
It does sound as though the powerbook specific part of the system prefs has been messed up...

You could try opening your system disks in pacifier (check versiontracker.com) and searching for keyboard & Mouse .prefpane (or something similar...)
If you find it drag it to your desktop, doubleclick it and see if it'll open in system preferences.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.