installing xcode

Reaction score
Hello,
I need to do some development work on my mac. Its an old macbook and I have MAC OS X 10.5.1 installed. Apparently the xcode suite of tools require higher versions. I don't really care about xtools all I need is to be able to compile and run my programs. Is there some way I can download a compiler for C++ in my operating system? Do I need to build it from scratch?

thanks,

Sam

Reaction score
You need the GCC compiler, that comes as a part of X-Tools. It can also be found on the Mac OS installation disk.
As for something that is compatible with OS 10.5.1 :
Xcode 2.5 Developer Tools
Xcode 2.5 is an update release of Xcode developer tools, providing bug fixes over Xcode 2.4.1. Xcode 2.5 can be installed on Tiger (Mac OS X 10.4) or on Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5).

So thats the one you need. Here is the link for it:
https://connect.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MemberSite.woa/wa/getSoftware?bundleID=19907
You have to be registered as an Apple Developer to get it, you can do that for free here:
Register as an Apple Developer

C

chas_m

If you're doing development work, shouldn't you be running an updated version of Leopard at the very least?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.