[HELP] I just formated the the wrong external HD

Reaction score
Please, I just did a big ****..
By accident I formated de wrong external hd, my lacie 500gb firewire that got everything.. Unfinished works and important personal files..
Does it have any solution, can I recover the formated hd?

Please! I'm just mad!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Ouch. I have done that before. I once deleted a Syquest cartridge with a boatload of the wife's data on it. I was in the dog house for a looong time over that one.

First off don't write anything to that drive until you have decided upon a course of action. If new information is written to the drive there is a chance it will be written in the space where some of your vital information used to be. As far as I can tell you have a couple of options:

1. Recovery software such as Computer Data Recovery, Mac Data Recovery Software, Mac Data Rescue, Digital Data Recovery Disk for Mac - Data Rescue 3 . I have had varying degrees of success with these types of programs. This version has a demo which could be used to get some idea of how much data might be recovered. Haven't used it personally.

2. There are several data recovery services out there. Keep in mind that this type of service can be very expensive. Also, check them out beforehand. Some of these services have little or no experience with Mac drives/data. DriveSavers Data Recovery ? Hard Drive, Disk, & RAID Data Recovery Services seems to be the one most often mentioned on the mac side.

I see 6string beat me to the punch on all counts. I gotta start typing faster.

OP
D
Reaction score
so, everything seems to be right there.
data rescue 3 found my files, but the app's trial version just allow to recover 10mb..
I'm trying to find a serial..
If anyone get it please give us.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Why not pay the purchase price if the information is so important and then it is yours. To do what you ask would not be nice!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
so, everything seems to be right there.
data rescue 3 found my files, but the app's trial version just allow to recover 10mb..
I'm trying to find a serial..
If anyone get it please give us.

Cheers

Like Harry said...just buy the program!!!

A few hours ago you were desperate to recover your files...and probably would have given almost anything to get them back after the hard drive format screw-up.

Now that you have found a viable solution...you want to get the program for free! And you're even more unethical by asking someone to send you the serial number!!!:(

Come on man...do the right thing!!!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Good man and keep coming back to the forums Denis. Lots to be learnt, and passed on, here.

OP
D
Reaction score
well guys..
It seems to be recovered, the most important files for me are the .mov
but when I try to open, appears that is not a movie file..
do u think I really lost the files? even though I've spent 99 bucks?

please help me!

thanx

:Shouting:

Reaction score
when you format a drive it actually erases all of the info and it is usually not recoverable

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.