replacing hard drive

Reaction score
I have a 4 year old imac intel core 2 duo that I will be replacing the internal drive on , question do i install the original os disc and then download all the updates to get to snow leopard so i can use the time machine to restore the hard drive as it was and will the new hd need to be formatted
thanks in advance

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which version of OS X are you currently using? Tiger? You can't download updates to get Snow Leopard. No version of OS X can be downloaded. If you want Snow Leopard, you have to purchase it. Buy a copy of Snow Leopard and when you change your hard drive, do a new install.

And yes, any new hard drive will have to be partitioned and formatted first before you can use it.

Regards.

OP
V
Reaction score
installing hard drive

I already purchased snow lep upgrade and have the disc, i was not sure if it contains the complete os or just the upgrade , and does apple have instructions on part. and fromatting thanks its my first hd replacement

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Any Snow Leopard disc is not merely an upgrade, it's the full version. Depending on how new it is, there might not be a further upgrade yet, but when one is released, you'll be able to download it.

Can't help with your first post, as I don't use Time Machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.