2010 Macbook Pro Bluray

Reaction score
I'm planning to buy the new Macbook Pro with the i7 processor. As a web developer and general techie, I want a machine that will stay current for a while, and I think I've achieved that by maxing out the specs available for this machine. However, I'm still worried about the onset of Bluray technology. As I'm sure you know, this machine doesn't read nor write Blurays.

Is there any idea when Apple will begin to offer the Bluray option? More importantly, will it be possible to upgrade my drive to a Bluray one in the near future (for a reasonable price) and maintain compatability? If so, will I need the 17" to fit the upgrade or will the 15" have enough room? I really want the 15" but the 3rd party upgrades I see now, are all for the 17"...Still I'm hoping Apple offers something, rather than going third party and the price right now is outrageous. $699 is the best I've seen. That's rediculous. Thanks for any insight.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is there any idea when Apple will begin to offer the Bluray option? More importantly, will it be possible to upgrade my drive to a Bluray one in the near future (for a reasonable price) and maintain compatability? If so, will I need the 17" to fit the upgrade or will the 15" have enough room?

I don't know...and I doubt anyone else here knows for sure.

Your best bet is to call up Apple...and ask to speak with Steve Jobs. He can probably give you a better answer than any of us!;)

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you want B-R for playing commercial B-R movies, then I suggest you stick with purchasing a Windows machine. There is not now, nor have I seen any indications that this will become possible in OS X. Of course, none of us will see it until it's released.

If you're looking to burn B-R data discs or burn your own home movies to B-R, then you can get an external along with Toast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i5 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD 7200 + iPhone 4 32GB iOS4.1
Hey mate,

If you want an external Blu-Ray drive, Amex digital makes quite a nice one. It comes in either White or Black. For the Blu-Ray reader/DVD writter it costs US$289.00. And if you want a Blu-Ray reader/burner it costs US$389.00.

Take a look here:

AMEX | Portable Blu-ray Super Multi Drive for New MacBook

:)

-Ben

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I'm planning to buy the new Macbook Pro with the i7 processor. As a web developer and general techie, I want a machine that will stay current for a while, and I think I've achieved that by maxing out the specs available for this machine. However, I'm still worried about the onset of Bluray technology. As I'm sure you know, this machine doesn't read nor write Blurays.

Is there any idea when Apple will begin to offer the Bluray option? More importantly, will it be possible to upgrade my drive to a Bluray one in the near future (for a reasonable price) and maintain compatability? If so, will I need the 17" to fit the upgrade or will the 15" have enough room? I really want the 15" but the 3rd party upgrades I see now, are all for the 17"...Still I'm hoping Apple offers something, rather than going third party and the price right now is outrageous. $699 is the best I've seen. That's rediculous. Thanks for any insight.

The prices are rather amusing.

I don't think Apple will ship Macs with Blu-Ray until the next version of OS X. (10.7) and the reason is that the DRM for BluRay has to be integrated into the OS. It's a bit of a farce, considering it's already been cracked, but it's a lot of the reason.

I haven't seen any drives that will fit the unibody, your best bet might be an external drive.

OWC Mercury Pro Blu-ray burner: FireWire 800/400, USB & eSATA - SlashGear

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.66Ghz C2D 4GB ram 320GB HDD
Steve Jobs
sjobs [at] apple.com

"there's an email address for that"
Send him a shout, u may get a humorous reply

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Steve Jobs
sjobs [at] apple.com

Maybe we could send Steve a "Tweet"!;)

- Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks to those who actually gave some useful information rather than the smart *** remarks. I appologize that I was not aware of whether or not Apple has made any statements regarding the future of Bluray in its product. Nevertheless, I'll be sure to send something over to the CEO of Apple. Or maybe since you seem to have time to waste, you could send it for me?

Thanks for the links. I especially like that AMEX product. I think that's what I'll end up going with. Very slick. So I suppose I can anticipate this being "plug and play" in OSX 10.7?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Thanks for the links. I especially like that AMEX product. I think that's what I'll end up going with. Very slick. So I suppose I can anticipate this being "plug and play" in OSX 10.7?

I would say hope rather than anticipate, and I also would be surprised if 10.7 lands before summer 2011, although that is also a wild guess. Perhaps there will be a 3rd party app that can do the playback.

It's pretty sad that the only way to watch a BR movie on the Mac is to break the law, or install Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
Double post....can't delete :Angry-Tongue:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!

That is just bad azz right there!!!! Thanks for the link Ben!:Cool:

Steve Jobs
sjobs [at] apple.com

try this...

Steve-Jobs-Reply-Generator.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
That is just bad azz right there!!!! Thanks for the link Ben!:Cool:

try this...

Steve-Jobs-Reply-Generator.png

LOL!
And that BD drive is a gorgeous thing indeed~! A bit of a shame about the $$$, but that's what you get for early adoption I guess.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.