Help with reformatting external HD for Time Machine use

Reaction score
I have a 500GB external hard drive that is currently in the FAT32 format and has data. I have backed up all the data to another hard drive, and now want to reformat this drive for exclusive use as the Time Machine backup.

I have already received instructions on how to properly pre-format a drive for TM use, which is:

1. Open Disk Utility
2. Select the new hard drive
3. Go to the Partition tab
4. Choose the number of volumes (normally one) from the Volume Scheme dropdown
5. Click on the Options… button
6. Choose GUID Partition Table or Apple Partition Map depending on whether your Mac is Intel-based or PowerPC-based.
7. Click Apply.

Now here come the questions. When I go to Disk Utility, and go to "Volume Scheme", it automatically says "Current". When I go to "1 Partition", I get selections under Volume Information with selections for the format.

1. Which format should I choose?
2.Are there any options I should choose?
3. Should I then hit "Apply" and will that then erase the current info and reformat to the selected information?

I would like to get the HD to that point where I can then go right to TM and begin that process. Many thanks for your help and guidance.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Any drive that you want to use for Time Machine must be formatted as HFS+ with journaling enabled. You might find the following article interesting. It gives some background about Time machine as well as some tips for setting up the initial backup ATPM 15.03 - How To: Time Travel: Introduction to Time Machine

OP
S
Reaction score
Then taking that first bit of information, the format selections I have under Partition include "MAC OS Extended (Journaled)". Is this then the proper one?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That should work fine.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're Welcome. Hope you find the info helpful.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.