my photo adapter just arrived, and my esteem for the iPad had taken a huge leap

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
This thing absolutely rocks as a photo viewer and storage device.

My main concern was that it might not know what to do with RAW files from my DSLR, but it gobbled them right up. And they look absolutely gorgeous on that screen. Even totally unprocessed (RAW files require a bit of post-processing to look their best).

So I see this thing serving as a great photographer's assistant on trips, backing up and displaying photos.

And it works as advertised in the slideshow mode, serving as a nice little digital picture frame.

The only negative I can think of is that downloading photos from my camera's memory card was relatively slow. These are 10+mb files though.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Just out of curiosity which DSLR are you using. I almost bought one for a trip last summer but ultimately settled on a point and shoot camera because I didn't have time to really learn how to use a DSLR.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have you checked to see if it auto downsizes them during the import like iTunes does or does it import the RAW files themselves.

OP
tiger roach
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
Just out of curiosity which DSLR are you using. I almost bought one for a trip last summer but ultimately settled on a point and shoot camera because I didn't have time to really learn how to use a DSLR.

It is a Canon, a 40D.

Have you checked to see if it auto downsizes them during the import like iTunes does or does it import the RAW files themselves.

It preserves the RAW files. I tested re-exporting a pic file and it was the same size & file type as the original, with the metadata intact.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I just got mine today. I just now realized that the adapters don't have to be directly connected to the ipad, you can also connect them to the dock( keyboard dock for me), and it works perfect. My 60gb powered usb harddrive also connects to it, and recognizes all the photos. I haven't tried syncing those though. The one thing I noticed with mine is that the usb slot is an INCREDIBLY tight fit!

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting one of these before we go on vacation. I was curious about one thing though . . . if you go ahead and transfer images from your camera to the iPad, and then later sync with iTunes, will it wipe out the pictures you downloaded from your camera, and then replace them with synced images on your computer?

I maintain all my photos on our home computer, so when I get back from vacation, I will download them there. So then when I sync my iPad, will I then have duplicate images (one copy direct from camera, and then when from the computer). Perhaps I'm over thinking this, but it's been nagging at me. I actually registered here just to ask the question!:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I'm thinking of getting one of these before we go on vacation. I was curious about one thing though . . . if you go ahead and transfer images from your camera to the iPad, and then later sync with iTunes, will it wipe out the pictures you downloaded from your camera, and then replace them with synced images on your computer?

I maintain all my photos on our home computer, so when I get back from vacation, I will download them there. So then when I sync my iPad, will I then have duplicate images (one copy direct from camera, and then when from the computer). Perhaps I'm over thinking this, but it's been nagging at me. I actually registered here just to ask the question!:)

It asks you if you want to keep the photos or delete them after transferring to the ipad. If you choose to save the pics, it will automatically hide the photos you have uploaded to the ipad so you know which ones are new.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.