"Defragment" for mac..does it exist?

Reaction score
just wondering, i know on windows there is a function to "disk defragment" which kinda takes all your free clusters and compresses them making your hd work a bit smoother and quicker..is there a way to do this on mac?
thanks
fabs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
The MacOS hierarchy makes defragmentating, as you know it with WinOS, virtually redundant.

That said, occasional disk maintenance is still necessary. The best utility in my view is OnyX, from here Titanium Software. It has very good tutorials with it, but its essential functions are to repair permissions and run maintenance scripts. Thoroughly recommended - and it's free!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
just wondering, i know on windows there is a function to "disk defragment" which kinda takes all your free clusters and compresses them making your hd work a bit smoother and quicker..is there a way to do this on mac? thanks fabs

As Hugh has pointed out, it's really not necessary under ordinary circumstances. However, if you want a program that does defragmentation, take a look at iPartition.

Regards.

OP
F
Reaction score
Hugh, thanks for replying for replying to my posts, i will try out the program you suggested. i also run "parmission repair" in disk utilities...not sure if it's the same thing...
as for the hard drive..i have a 80gig seagate ST380011A which i think the origional of the computer....i don't think it's a SATA drive, more like the older ones...if so, then it's the same type as the other hard drives i have...
if i do copy all my music,movies and pics on the second hard drive, can i get itunes to automatically read and store stuff to the second drive? thanks
fabs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
i also run "parmission repair" in disk utilities...not sure if it's the same thing...

OnyX does does that plus more. It does all the necessary maintenance you need in one convenient app :)

if i do copy all my music,movies and pics on the second hard drive, can i get itunes to automatically read and store stuff to the second drive? thanks
fabs

Yes, you can change the iTunes music directory (the folder it looks for the music files) by going to iTunes/preferences/advanced, then change 'itunes media folder location' to the directory on your external.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Yes, that ST380011A is an ATA (IDE) drive (Seagate).

That model of drive suggests you're operating an older iMac, maybe an eMac. It's always a good idea to post your Mac specs, either in your profile, or in a signature. It helps us to help you better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Duplicate posting… :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
just wondering, i know on windows there is a function to "disk defragment" which kinda takes all your free clusters and compresses them making your hd work a bit smoother and quicker..is there a way to do this on mac?
thanks
fabs

Yes. I've used a couple, and IMO iDefrag is the best, hands-down. The newest version is also the only one I know of that doesn't require you to boot from another drive or use a special disk to do a full defrag.

Now whether or not you really NEED to do so, or will even have a noticeable benefit from it is another story. Read more about my experiences and observations here:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os...87952-defragging-os-x-discussion-example.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.