How do i backup bootcamp?

Reaction score
Are there any other ways than Winclone? It has never backed up my bootcamp partition... I keep getting an error message. I just installed a fresh copy of XP and STILL it won't back it up. Please tell me there's another way to back up the bootcamp. thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are there any other ways than Winclone? It has never backed up my bootcamp partition... I keep getting an error message. I just installed a fresh copy of XP and STILL it won't back it up. Please tell me there's another way to back up the bootcamp. thanks!

What error messages? And, have you posted the error in the WinClone user forum?

Ordinary backup applications do not work properly when trying to restore and Windows disk imaging programs may or may not work. I have tried True Image by Acronis and while it will create the image it refuses to restore it because it doesn't like EFI. I have not tested the latest version of True Image to see if it has the same problem.

WinClone is probably your best bet if you can get it to work.

Windows 7 (if you upgrade) has a built in backup program that also makes an image of the Win 7 partition. This program works well and does not require WinClone or any other backup program. The only glitch with using it is that it also requires you to use the original Win 7 install DVD to boot the machine. A bit dangerous when running Win 7 from a Boot Camp partition. But other than that, it's free, and it works.

Regards.

OP
I
Reaction score
it's some sort of input/output error. I didn't post anything on the winclone forum, but it's littered with the same error. Most think it's a corrupt file in windows. I mean I literally just installed it and it wouldn't backup.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
it's some sort of input/output error. I didn't post anything on the winclone forum, but it's littered with the same error. Most think it's a corrupt file in windows. I mean I literally just installed it and it wouldn't backup.

A corrupt file in Windows can be cured by doing a repair install. I also recommend running Disk Utility from your OS X boot DVD and do a verify and repair on the entire hard drive. You may just have some bad sectors in your Windows partition.

Another thing you can do while in Windows is to run "chkdsk". Open a command prompt in Windows and type in: chkdsk /f . You'll get a response that the disk can not be repaired while mounted and that it will be checked on the next boot. Reboot Windows XP.

Let us know.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.