i mac problem

Reaction score
i have a 2006 i mac that i have never had trouble with until yesterday when i turned it on it took 20 to 30 minutes to boot and every task even typing takes minutes to perform i have run disc utility that came with the i mac and it detected no hardware problems , is this an acurate check or could i have a hard drive failing lucky i have it backed up with time machine software snow lep. 10.6.3 any help would be appreciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums Vernon.

Sounds very much like a dying HDD. Pop in disc one of the original install discs that came with your iMac, you do have them one hopes, and run Apple Hardware Test in extended mode.

Next step is to boot from your OS disc, hold down 'C' after the chime, go into Utilities and run Repair Disk. You cannot repair or verify a drive you are booted from. Keep us posted?

OP
V
Reaction score
thanks

es i do have the disc i put 1 in and it runs apple hardware test which shows no problems i guess the utilities is on disc 2 will try that and thanks for the help

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You hold down C right after the Startup Sound and keep it down till the OSX boot screen shows up. When you get to the OSX installer, look up top for the Utilities drop down. Click on Disk Utility. Besides what was suggested above check the SMART status at the bottom of Disk Utility. Does it pass or fail?

It really does sound like the hard drive.

OP
V
Reaction score
thanks so much

you guys are awsome i finally got the disc utilities up and running and it does have a bad hard drive , suspected that but did not want to replace it if that was not the problem , thanks again i love my mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
...now to get that Shift key fixed! ...and the period, question mark, semi-colon ;)

Or, just write one sentence per post!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.