Is antivirus needed

Reaction score
I just bought a macbook pro and will run windows 7 in parallels, I need IE for part of my company and union sites to get full functionality. My question is since it is a virtual OS running in snow leopard do I need an antivirus program?

Reaction score
Yes, you will need AV on the Windows machine. Just because it is virtual does not mean that it is not safe from viruses.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, you will need AV, anti malware, firewall, the whole bit just like you were running Windows 7 on your PC.

I might suggest you give a look to the new "Microsoft Security Essentials" software. It's a free download from MS and it seems to do a decent job at preventing malware besides being an AV application. It's also self updating.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Imac, 3.06 ghz processor, 1 TB HD, 256 meg ATI Graphics card
Hi,

I just ordered my first Mac and being new to the Mac OS, I was wondering if I need any sort of virus protection software for the Mac OS? I also plan to set this guy (a 27" Imac) up as a dual boot. Can I just set up one of my licensed copies of AVG antivirus software on the Windows partition of my hard drive to protect Windows when I am using that O.S.? One other thing. If I were to get a virus or trojan while using Windows, is there any way it could affect the Mac partition? I don't see how it could, but being new to this platform, I figured I had better ask, just in case.

Thanks,

Reaction score
Search is your friend as there are tons of threads on this.

No, you don't need AV on OSx. Yes, you can run AVG on your Windows partition. What you will want to do is read up on Bootcamp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Imac, 3.06 ghz processor, 1 TB HD, 256 meg ATI Graphics card
Search is your friend as there are tons of threads on this.

No, you don't need AV on OSx. Yes, you can run AVG on your Windows partition. What you will want to do is read up on Bootcamp.

Thank you for being so patient with this total goof on my part. Yes, search is what I should have done prior to posting this one. For whatever reason I didn't see the little "Search" button. I have found it now! and I promise I'll use it. There are already tons of posts dealing with the virus issue and I have been reading them.

I have read up on boot camp and it sounds just like what I need.
I was planning on doing the dual boot with Windows XP since the other Windows software I want to continue using consists of versions designed for that operating system.
Thanks for answering this redundant post!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.