Just curious, How many use your MAC systems here with Admin privileges?

Reaction score
(I'm a relatively new mac user ~45 days old) I've been looking for ways to run applications without directly accessing my administrator's account privileges.

I have my ~45 day old powerbook setup with 1 admin account for servicing the system and a limited account for myself for general usage. I am aware of the 'sudo' command, but would like to explore the other possibilities. In windows XP I can use either 'Runas' or a cool little utility 'sunas.' I wish all app developers would really take into account of systems with many users with limited privileges.

...so what are you playing with lately? :yinyang:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I am the admin but I still have to do somethings with sudo in X11 to edit some files

I

ineedanewmac

I am admin as well. I have a couple of others like postgres, etc..., but I use the admin.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Redbrick said:
....I wish all app developers would really take into account of systems with many users with limited privileges.

Maybe I am missing the point here, but the whole idea of an Admin making an account with limited privileges is so the user can't run certain apps or install things. App developers are not concerned (nor should they be) with what Admins decide on who can install or run things on a system.
Just out of curiousity, why don't you just run under the Admin account?
In Mac OS X, there is no reason why you can't run on your Admin user, because unlike most *nix style OSes the root is still disabled by default, even for the Admin user. As trpnmonkey pointed out, there are still times where you will need to activate and enable root to do things, even as the Admin.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G5/Powerbook G4/Pegasos 2
No point in using your computer with a 2nd account set as limited. The initial user you made when you first turned on the Powerbook should be your default account for everything you do. I only have a limited account for my friends and my kids on the Powermac, on my Powerbook I only have my account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Acill said:
No point in using your computer with a 2nd account set as limited. The initial user you made when you first turned on the Powerbook should be your default account for everything you do.
If you're at all concerned about security, don't run as admin.

There are basically three categories
1. Managed: Can only run specific applications and modify some preferences, or none at all, depending on the restrictions put in place when the account was created

2. Standard: Can run all applications and modify any preferences related to his/her account

3. Admin: Can run all applications, install applications, and modify system-wide preferences.

For the most part, you only need to be Admin when you first set up your Mac. For day-to-day use, a Standard user account will be all you need.

When you do need to install applications or modify systemwide preferences the OS will usually present an authentication box for an Admin username and password. (You usually don't have to actually log in as that user.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
I usually get that authentication box when I try to install something... even though I use the Admin account for day to day. Is that normal?

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
sarahsboy18 said:
I usually get that authentication box when I try to install something... even though I use the Admin account for day to day. Is that normal?

Yes.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
So then what is the point of setting up a seperate Standard user for day to day uses? Seems a little extreme IMO just to protect some of the preferences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
sarahsboy18 said:
So then what is the point of setting up a seperate Standard user for day to day uses? Seems a little extreme IMO just to protect some of the preferences.

I agree, I use the admin account for day to day use too, there is no point in actually doing anything other then that if you are the only user on the system. Although some of my friends have windows based pcs and I like how windows has a guest account built into the opperating sytem which gives the person enough control over the computer to do what they would do on a persons computer when they are a guest at their house, and nothing more. Although I guess you can just create a managed account with restrictions and name it guest. But yes, I do use the admin account for day to day use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sarahsboy18 said:
So then what is the point of setting up a seperate Standard user for day to day uses?

Depends on how much you trust yourself and others who may just wander up to your computer while it is logged into that account.

One of the main reasons for doing it is to stop yourself from inadvertantly deleting files that yourself would rather not lose. :p

Amen-Moses

OP
R
Reaction score
Amen-Moses and Technologist have both understood my point. I try never to run my OS'es with administrative privileges. I have both the Peecee and Mac setup with three accounts. 1 admin, and 2 managed users (for me and my girlfriend)

Simple fact is I don't trust myself (sounds wierd, I know) playing with my system after a few cold ones...and I sure as heck don't trust/care what my girlfriend wants to do with the system. With the peecee she can surf to any site she wants...go to any popup up she wants ....and it will not let her unknowingly install apps from the website she goes to.

The original point of my question was how to run certain apps with admin privileges. For instance, Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness requires admin privileges...I'd like to launch this app with admin privileges with my managed account only to play the game cause I don't know how to rewire this thing. I hope that clarifies my point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well maybe you need to change the games ownership to your managed user.
Hit apple+i to bring up the info pane for the game and then look at the tab ownership.
Try to change the user to your managed user and see if that'll work.

Normally though it'll just ask you for your admin name and password.

OP
R
Reaction score
Aptmunich said:
Well maybe you need to change the games ownership to your managed user.
Hit apple+i to bring up the info pane for the game and then look at the tab ownership.
Try to change the user to your managed user and see if that'll work.

Normally though it'll just ask you for your admin name and password.

Well, this is a solution, but it doesn't address my needs cause then my girlfriend can't play it. I would own the game...and only I would be able to play it. ...unless there's another way or I'm missing something here... (I guess I must have missed this point in my previous post) I did try setting 'everyone' to allow 'read and write' ability, but that didn't fix it...I'd get an error just before the actual game loads.

Oddly enough though...splinter cell allows me to share ownership of the game to all managed accounts....I still have a lot to learn about Mac OS X permissions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Redbrick said:
Well, this is a solution, but it doesn't address my needs cause then my girlfriend can't play it. I would own the game...and only I would be able to play it. ...unless there's another way or I'm missing something here... (I guess I must have missed this point in my previous post) I did try setting 'everyone' to allow 'read and write' ability, but that didn't fix it...I'd get an error just before the actual game loads.

Oddly enough though...splinter cell allows me to share ownership of the game to all managed accounts....I still have a lot to learn about Mac OS X permissions.

You need to read up on unix permissions. particularly regarding group permissions.

If you create a group called games and make sure that all the game files are owned by that group and that the folders containing the files are also owned by that group then you can simply attach that group to anyone that needs to run the games. You cannot do this without getting terminal savvy though. :p

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.