Need help w/transferring files from iMac to Macbook Pro & PC laptop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5 at 2.0 Mhz, upgraded to 1.5GB RAM from 0.512GB, 250GB, DVD burner, Leopard
May 2004-current - I own a Toshiba Laptop

Jan. 2010 - I purchased a used iMac G5, and quit using my Toshiba laptop at that time.

A few days ago I purchased a iPod Touch, and a Macbook Pro.

I would like to transfer the following from my G5 & Toshiba to my new Macbook Pro. The G5 has now become solely my kid's computer. :)

-Photos
-iTunes
-Pictures
-any documents (there won't be many)
-am I missing anything??

I did the "migration assistant" last night (took about 3 hours.) transferring data from the G5 to the new MacbookPro. I don't see any of my photos or documents on the laptop. I do not know what I am doing, and thinking maybe I want to revert back. Is that possible?

Can I just pick and choose what I want to transfer over to the new computer?

Help. :Smirk:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi Melissa:

Welcome to the Mac forums! See the following Wiki description of the MA and what it does.

However, you can easily move most of your document and photos manually by using a plug in flash drive or even an external hard drive. It's a matter of copying from one to the other. There are other ways to transfer files - Firewire to Firewire, copy cable, and so forth.

Transferring iTunes is a bit more involved because you would want to "authorize" the new machine for your iTunes account and at the same time de-authorize the older one. You can also transfer your entire iTunes library to the new machine using the MA, but it may be easier to do it manually.

See the this LINK.
If you need any more help, post back to this same thread.

Regards.

OP
lovinwaves
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5 at 2.0 Mhz, upgraded to 1.5GB RAM from 0.512GB, 250GB, DVD burner, Leopard
Thank you.

I do not see any of my documents or pictures. Where would I find them?

Since I can't undo migration assistant, how can start over with a clean slate? :Oops:

OP
lovinwaves
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there any way to tell if the migration assistant worked, and actually sent the files and stuff over to the new macbook? I'm beginning to think they are not there now.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Take a look at this LINK. He has some very good instructions on how to use the Migration Assistant and explains what can and can not be moved.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.