HP 1200 printing very slowly

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Mac OS X (version 10.6.3). I have an HP 1200 printer, which worked perfectly fine with my PC. With the Mac, .pdf documents are printing very slowly. It takes minutes for each page to print black and white copies.

I have been to the HP site and downloaded the latest driver for this printer.

Does anyone know what the problem is? Why is my new Mac incompatible with my printer?

Thanks to anyone who knows what's going on.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I recently purchased a Mac OS X (version 10.6.3). I have an HP 1200 printer, which worked perfectly fine with my PC. With the Mac, .pdf documents are printing very slowly. It takes minutes for each page to print black and white copies.

I have been to the HP site and downloaded the latest driver for this printer.

Does anyone know what the problem is? Why is my new Mac incompatible with my printer?

Thanks to anyone who knows what's going on.

I have a Mac Pro running OS 10.6 connected to an HP 1200 laser printer. I have never had a problem with this setup whether the computer connected to the HP 1200 was running OS 10.4, 10.5, or 10.6.

It has always taken longer to print .pdf documents on my HP 1200....than say internet web page info, MS Word docs, MS Excel docs, etc. And the more complex the .pdf...then longer it takes.

Maybe it's just a "Mac Thing".

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My HP Laser printer likewise prints PDF slowly compared to ordinary documents. However, changing the resolution setting (if available) will speed it up somewhat. Try printing in Draft, or 300 DPI. I've noticed most PDF documents seem to default to fine quality print.

Regards.

Reaction score
Mac prints pdf's slow to hp laserjet 1200

I had an issue with my iMac printing VERY slow and found the solution so I thought I'd put it up in case anyone else has the same problem. I have an iMac and I'm running Lion.

Open System Preferences (gear looking icon on the bottom of most screens)
then click the following:
-print and scan
-options and supplies
-driver
-In the drop down box next to "print using" select "select printer software"
-Select HP Laserjet Gutenprint V5.2.3 (or whatever printer you're using, try the driver with Gutenprint next to it).

This solved my problem so hopefully this helps someone else.

Vince

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.