Alternatives

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz, Ibook G4 1.33ghz, Powerbook Lombard 333mhz
I was just wondering if there was a way to get wireless internet to an older ibook 300mhz g3. I have hard of the USB internet recievers that just plug into the usb, would these work? And how well do they work?

S

sonofapplepm

If you are gonna use it alot, just go for an Original Airport card! you can get them for around $80 U.S. on ebay! This leaves the one usb port open for whatever else you might need to hook up!

Just my 2cents,
Josh

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I was thinking about buying an original airport card, but it will take me awhile to actually win one for a reasonable price so thats why Im wondering about these usb recievers. Im looking into a D-Link one. Anyone try them out? Do they work well?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I know that the Dlink dwl-122 works. I not sure about the other one.

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So rman how well does the dwl-122 work for you? Does it usually pick up the connection where ever you are within reason without having to move the computer around or hold it up in the air?

Thanks

C

ciaran.mooney

I asked exactly the same question a few weeks ago.

Here

The reply I got was to have a look at this guy site. Here

Went to ebay to find the Sony Card and got it for a tenner less than the Apple Wireless Cards were going for.

And it does work! Using it now for my mac needs and its running fine.

Very easy to install as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
oldnews said:
Well I was thinking about buying an original airport card, but it will take me awhile to actually win one for a reasonable price so thats why Im wondering about these usb recievers. Im looking into a D-Link one. Anyone try them out? Do they work well?
Check out www.macofalltrades.com They usually have one or too to retail for about $75 US dollars. No bidding.

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ciaran.mooney said:
I asked exactly the same question a few weeks ago.

Here

The reply I got was to have a look at this guy site. Here

Went to ebay to find the Sony Card and got it for a tenner less than the Apple Wireless Cards were going for.

And it does work! Using it now for my mac needs and its running fine.

Very easy to install as well.

Sounds like a good idea, tobad I can't seem to find any. Even on ebay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
that idea to use the sony card was prety cool never thought you would be able to do that.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oldnews said:
So rman how well does the dwl-122 work for you? Does it usually pick up the connection where ever you are within reason without having to move the computer around or hold it up in the air?

Thanks
My wife uses it on iBook. She has not had any problem with it since we installed it. :)

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Rman, I have an other question for you. My 300mhz Ibook Clamshell just came in and I cant figure out how to get the DWL-G122 to work. Should it just work when I plug it in? Because the cd isn't bringing anything up and I can't figure it out. Does it need to be a certain OS for it to work? Let me know thanks.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We are using OS X 10.3.9. I did load the software that comes with adapter. I don't know if really needed to load the software.

B

ByHisGrace

rman said:
We are using OS X 10.3.9. I did load the software that comes with adapter. I don't know if really needed to load the software.

hey guys i know this is a pretty old thread but i was thinking about using the same thing for my 12" ibook500 and found this reveiw on the dwl. just thought i would let ppl know.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15997

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.