Can't open files on G4 desktop

Reaction score
I have an 800 MHZ Power PC G4 iMac that is five or six years old. It has been slowing down for the last year and now I can't open anything on the desktop. I can open files through the Finder but it is a pain to do it that way. Every thing on the Dock opens without any problem. Any suggestions as to what may be wrong and how I can fix it?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What version of OSX is on that iMac? Is it fully up to date update wise?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
OP
D
Reaction score
When I said I have to open files through the Finder I meant that I have to click on the Finder icon on the dock and then open the desktop folder and then open what ever file I want to use. Nothing that is on the desktop will open, except on stuff on the dock. I can drag things around but not open any files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Pop in your system disk and reboot, holding down 'C' after the chimes, go to Utilities and run Repair Disk and see what is reported as the HDD may be on the way out. You do have the system instal disc?

Keep us posted?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Are you keeping lots of files right on the Desktop? How many? At some point, that can cause problems. Perhaps that is what's happening.

Reaction score
You really should not keep alot of files on the desktop make aliases instead.

Reaction score
Can't open icons, folders or files on Mac OSX 10.4.11

I'm unable to open anything on my desktop with the usual double-click. Words highlight but icons, folders, downloads, and even applications won't open. Dock items only are working fine.
I've read previous notes and 1. checked mouse, which is working fine; 2. deleted superfluous files on desktop; 3. successfully run "repair disk permissions" in utilities with no error messages; and 4. popped in Mac OSX Install disks 1 and 2. On disk 1, I double-clicked file "Apple Hardware Test Read Me" but it wouldn't open. On disk 2, the only file there was "Installing Mac OSX and Applications." When I double-clicked on that -- surprise! -- that wouldn't open either. What's up, and how can I restore my trusty old Mac to its former trouble-free status?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have you actually booted from the install disk and run Repair Disk from there?

You must boot from the disc, hold down 'C' immediately after the chimes, go into Utilities, select Disk Utilityt and run Repair Disk. You cannot repair a drive you are booted from.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.