• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Reasonably Priced Legal TV\Movie Download Site???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Macbook White 2Ghz 2Gig RAM 120Gig HDD
Is there a reasonably priced legal video downloading site?

I'd like to use iTunes, but its prices are just stupid. Looked at the Star Trek Series 1 collection. £53 at iTunes, can buy the box set from amazon for £12.

Looked for The Wire series 1. iTunes £35, Amazon boxset £12.

I'd actually prefer not to buy the DVDs. I don't want the clutter, nor do I want to fill up landfill with DVDs either, but I also refuse the pay the prices that iTunes is charging. If you look at the comments on iTunes video downloads, many of the comments are complaining about the stupid prices.

Considering that it should be cheaper to sell a download movie than ship a physical product, these prices make no sense to me at all.

I can't find another site, that operates in the UK, that provides something similar.

What has been your experience?

Reaction score
Amazon.com has a digital download service, similar to iTunes.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Amazon.com has a digital download service, similar to iTunes.

Unfortunatly that, like hulu, is only available to users in the USA.

amazon.co.uk only has mp3 downloads at the moment

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Amazon's service bites the bullet compared to iTunes in this case. They still have no software for the Mac to download your purchases. You can only stream them.

Even with the windows software, you can only authorize 2 computers. And if you forget to de-authorize one prior to selling, re-installing the OS, your hard drive dying, etc.; there is no possible way to ever go back and de-authorize that machine and you are now down to only a single computer that can play their content.

I would suggest thinking very hard before making any purchases of digital video content there. On top of that, their pricing is typically not any better than iTunes.

The fact is, iTunes SD pricing for anything still in it's prime is typically lower than the regular DVD pricing on Amazon, except without all the sales Amazon has.

Sadly, iTunes is about the best place for the purchase of digital video content at this time. If you're purchasing first run movies and TV shows, the pricing is not too bad. For all those past their prime, where the DVD pricing has dropped, then the physical media is the way to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Do you have a service like Netflix? It's internet movie rental and you can stream movies, but there is no downloading. As much as I watch movies though, the $8 a month for the basic service is worth it to me.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have a service like Netflix? It's internet movie rental and you can stream movies, but there is no downloading. As much as I watch movies though, the $8 a month for the basic service is worth it to me.

We have lovefilm in the UK and I do have an account there for DVD rentals.

They have some movies available for online streaming, but it only works on Windows. Also, its more expensive to watch the movie online than to get the DVD?

Makes no sense to me, besides the windows only rubbish, that a download/stream can be MORE expensive than the physical DVD.

I will give a HUGE thumbs up to BBC iPlayer though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 Gigs of ram

Yes I completely agree. I use my laptop, which is hooked up to my 60 inch tv, and watch all my movies, shows that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
LegalSounds.com > click link on left of opening page. Membership free, but pre-paid account for any downloads. I don't do movies, music only, but the site has a Very Good rating from reviewers.

Be advised:
1. the site is located in Russia, be canny about any cookies emanating from it, other than those essential for operation of a download account,
2. the site is slow, but stable.
3. never a problem with account management, or 'missing' account funds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Why would I want to do something like that, that most likely violates their terms of use?

Reaction score
As you are UK based, why not just join Love Film. You can get all the films you mentioned from them very economically. When you are done with films, you return the DVDs to them - thus averting the landfill problem you seem to be concerned about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
iTunes is slowly getting better, but it depends on the provider. Star Trek Voyager seasons 1 - 3 are going for $12.99, as is Enterprise and DS9, but it's SD only and quite honestly it looks quite pixelated even on an iPad, let alone a 40" TV.

The next few years is going to be interesting in terms of content cost. I don't like where it is heading.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.