Migration Assistant - Email Import Problems

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a MAC desktop and recently had to get a new hard drive as the old one crashed/broke down. Luckily I use time machine and once I had the OS installed on the new HD I ran the migration assistant and all of my older system was safely transferred onto the new HD.

My MAC has 2 user logins (myself and my wife). When I first opened up my login I opened "mail" and it came up with a message asking if I wanted to import mail. I clicked yes and all of my emails from my old HD (inbox, sent items, folders etc) appeared in my email. However, when I went into the other user login and opened up "mail" I forgot to click on the message which asked if I wanted to import email. Now this user login has an email account with empty folders etc, and none of the emails from the old HD are present.

How can I run this email import process so that I can retrieve all of the old emails?

Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Can you not log into the second User and use this selection?
Have not tried it but would give it a shot as you could always start over should it turn to custard;

Click for full size

OP
M
Reaction score
Can you not log into the second User and use this selection?
Have not tried it but would give it a shot as you could always start over should it turn to custard;

Click for full size

Hi,

Yeah I have tried that, the old emails are on the time capsule (I assume in the location titled "sparsebundle") but when I go to select the location for the mail box import it is greyed out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
How about going into Time Machine and find the Mailbox in Home Folder > Library > Mail and click on Restore.
Failing that you could always do the complete install over again and import both Users using migration assistant.
Or google for the Terminal command to just do the import for one User.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.