memory stick folder problem

Reaction score
I inadvertently removed my memory stick before ejecting it from my ibookG4 laptop. Now I can't get into the files in the folder in which I was working. The files all appear to be still there but the message I get is "file cannot be accessed. The file may be read only or you may be trying to access a read only location. Or the server the document is stored on may not be responding....". Files in other folders on the memory stick open ok. Tried first aid from disk utility but it says everything is OK. Any help would be appreciated or I am in for a long night redoing it all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Try clicking on the file/s that you cannot get into and Select File > Get Info and check that it has not been set to Read Only;

Click for full size

OP
D
Reaction score
Hmmm good idea but no it says you can read and write.

OP
D
Reaction score
PS here is the get info dialogue box for what it is worth

Picture 3.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
How about plugging in the Memory Stick and dragging the obstinate files onto the Desktop and then go into Excel > File > Open and if that works use 'Save As' to get them back on the Memory Stick.

OP
D
Reaction score
Yes. Tried that but no go. I think I might have to start retyping..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
To save yourself that trouble again, work on the files on your hard drive, then save copies to the flash drive.

OP
D
Reaction score
Yes, very good advice.
It's frustrating when you go to the flash drive and there are all the files, still the same size with the date of last save recorded...but refusing to be opened. The data must still be there and there must be a way to get into it somehow.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.