How to delete and reconfigure OS on eMac?

Reaction score
How to delete and reconfigure Hard Drive on eMac?

Hi all, I hope I got the right section.

I have an eMac from 2003 that is starting to have some issues (anything that runs off the USB ports freezes, Firewire stopped working, DVD's that play are freezing, discs won't burn properly sometimes).

I realise that these sound like logic board problems, but since the problems are only intermittent, I would like to try wiping the internal hard drive and starting again. I've never done this for the life of the computer, and would like to give it a try to see if it will improve things.

How do I do it?

Cheers in advance,
Cryssie :eek:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Before u take that step, how about going into accounts and adding a new User - make it an Admin User and then logging into the new User, then you can see if it is your old User files that are bogging things down or if it is the system, which then means troubleshoot or fresh install.

OP
C
Reaction score
I've already backed up and deleted most of my files. All that remains on my computer is a hundred or so photos and 60GB of music. And applications. I reckon I'm ready for the next step.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Have you got the Install discs that came with the eMac or a Retail version of the Install Disc - the one with the Big X on it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.