iMac overheating

Reaction score
I have a 20" imac core 2 duo, the last white one before they came out with the aluminum ones, running Snow Leopard. A few weeks ago, it was getting a lot of graphical artifacts, system freezing, and crashing. After some analyzing, it seemed be caused by really high temps, so I minimized cpu usage to keep it running. I decided if it was anything like my old pc's it needed to be cleaned. I took a vaccuum for the vents and got out a good amount of dust, but the vents aren't in the best spots, but it must've loosened up the rest. After turning it back on, the fans sped up a lot (6000rpm) and a lot of dust shot out the back, some thick chunks. I thought this would solve the problem.. Since then it's ran fine, no graphical errors, but the fans are always running high, it sounds like a pc.. I got a fan controller to keep them up so it doens't overheat. The cpu and gpu are always 150-160ºF under any decent load and the fans will easily go to 3k-4k somtimes higher rpm. Really loud and annoying. I took it apart to do a proper cleaning today, and upon vaccuuming one of the fans, it exploded. I glued it all back together, runs fine, but over 3500rpm it makes a clicking sound which worries me. But it shouldn't ever need to be that high.. It still seems to be running hot..

What is going on?

Cliffnotes: imac running hot, fans need to be blaring, runs fine cuz of this but sounds like a pc. Cleaning dust didn't seem to help much.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.