Problem with Apple iPad Case

Reaction score
I bought my iPad on release day and picked up the Apple iPad Case to go with it. My problems with the functionality of the case is a completely separate issue but I am rewlly interested in others have the same issue as I do. I cant imagine that you DON'T!

On the iPad Case, here is a rectangular section on the back where the case itself slips into a tab so you can do the picture frame thing or have the keyboard elevated a bit. Great feature...

Bad side effect. My iPad is MARKED on the back in the exact spot where the case is indented. Also, around the iPad where the case ends is starting to mark up.

However, the rectangular bit is VERY noticeable and dark. Almost looks like the aluminum version of when the 3GS's were turning colors. (To brown.)

So, I've had my case installed since release day, and I'm sure many of you have too... Please pull off the cover and report. Duh, I'll post a couple pics. This issue can hopefully be documented and fixed!

Gosh forbid, I hope my iPad isn't PERMANENTLY marked. I wouldn't assume so, but you know who they say make ASSumptions. If so, what help can I expect from Apple?

If this is a true issue, wouldn't I be entitled to return the iPad Case at the very least?! I mean, not to mention that the thing sucks in the first lace, it seems like this is an Apple product thats not actually usable with their hardware! Ha.

I will post pics today, well if I can figure out how to load from my iPad as its all I have available.

Post away, i think a lot of you are going to pull of that case to see the same markings as i have. Remember, mine has been on since 10 minutes after 9am release day.

Hmmmmmm..... No HUGE deal, but I think I'm DONE with this case... There are so many better options and i bet they don't damage the iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There is no damage.

Have already noticed this on mine. Mine's been on there since about 9:30 that morning. Goes to the office with me practically every day. Travels out to visit with clients and even using it to take notes in the field. I'm in construction.

It's like a suction mark where that part of the case sits tighter against the back.

A moist paper towel takes it right off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PC Baby!
Just checked mine, been on since 4.5.10, and no mark at all.

Maybe the ones that have it are getting a little warm?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It's really hard to see also. Almost impossible under bright fluorescent lighting. Had to hold mine under a 20 watt bulb at just the right angle to see it. (That just happens to be the wattage of the bulb by my recliner.)

The main issue I have with the case was their lack of consideration that some of us will want to have it in the case and still be able to use the iPad dock or the Keyboard dock. It could have been manufactured properly to begin with instead of requiring the need of taking a knife to it for surgery.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.