Protecting My iMac From Power Failures (?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
For nearly 20 years my computers (PC) have been protected by APC’s UPS (uninterruptible power supply) from power failures and other irregularities. Yesterday we had two power failures (weather related), and I did not get the customary alerts to shut down while on battery power. So, I wonder if there is something I should do to enable this protection for my iMac? Thanks in advance.

Pete (The Oldfella)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
For nearly 20 years my computers (PC) have been protected by APC’s UPS (uninterruptible power supply) from power failures and other irregularities. Yesterday we had two power failures (weather related), and I did not get the customary alerts to shut down while on battery power. So, I wonder if there is something I should do to enable this protection for my iMac? Thanks in advance.

Pete (The Oldfella)

Do you have the UPS plugged into the iMac via USB? I have a really old APC RS-1500; when its plugged into the iMac I have a battery icon in the upper right corner. When the power goes out, it does yell at me suggesting I save all work and shut down.

OP
oldfella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
Justin - Yes, it is, but have no icon. I think I'll call the APC people to see if the can lead to the right "switch". Thanks.

Pete (The Oldfella)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Note - Not all UPS units support OS X. In other words, there may not be related software which "warns" and then shuts the machine down. Most, if not all UPS units sold today support Windows, however, you need to read the documentation carefully to see if there is support for Mac OS X.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
Note - Not all UPS units support OS X. In other words, there may not be related software which "warns" and then shuts the machine down. Most, if not all UPS units sold today support Windows, however, you need to read the documentation carefully to see if there is support for Mac OS X.

Regards.

Took the words right out of my keyboard.

Some UPSes (UPi?) abide by the standard - some do not. The manufacturer should give you that information.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.