Power Mac G5 two yrs. idle: Now what? No hotmail etc.

Reaction score
After 2 years I need my Mac! I tried to access Hotmail and got a blank screen. Yahoo says I do not have the right OS - what do I need to update to get back on this planet? Apple sites seem to work O.K.

Power Mac dual - purchased late 2005.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
After 2 years I need my Mac! I tried to access Hotmail and got a blank screen. Yahoo says I do not have the right OS - what do I need to update to get back on this planet? Apple sites seem to work O.K.

How about telling us what OS is currently installed on your Powermac G5? It may not be your OS version...but the version of the Safari browser you're using.

In any case...the newest/latest/maximum OS you can install is 10.5.8.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks

Much appreciated - rank amateur here. I have the OS that was on it when I got it new, Safari I believe?!!?!? I will update as you suggest. I am hesitant so please bear with me as I get up to speed. Any advise, no matter how rudimentary is helpful.

I will even confess that I had to switch to my aging PC to join the forum. Gonna' switch back to my Mac and go with the Hail Mary play!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Safari is a Web Browser and not the OS. The newer versions of Safari will not install on older versions of OSX. Click on the Apple in the top left corner of the screen. Click on About This Mac. It will tell you there what version of OSX you have. Please report back.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
BTW are you trying to use the OS X Mail program to access Hotmail or through the Web interface? Here's a video for the setup procedure to use Mail YouTube - Mac Tutorial - How To Get Your Hotmail Account on Mail

There are also some videos explaining how to access Yahoo via Mail. I think these tricks depend upon the premium service though.

OP
C
Reaction score
Update

I am now using Firefox browser & hotmail is working. I need my old password to update my Tiger 10.4 OS but can't get the password right. I am instructed to reset it with my OS install disc but am hesitant. Will I need to reinstall Final Cut Pro and all of my expensive software? Worried that I may lose something and not have the original install disc(s). Also, can't install flashplayer and much of my work requires sites that use it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.