Partition

Reaction score
Hi,

I tried to do partition with 32 gb..but i get an error msg "The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved. Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again."

I went to Disk utility...

Please advise the next steps

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I am a bit confused. Were you trying to set up a partition for Boot Camp? I believe that error gets generated if the Boot Camp Setup Assistant con't find enough contiguous space to move the files and create the partition.

Reaction score
Can you check how much free space you have available? I know boot camp has some issues with higher disk partition but don't recall on top of my head. Try creating a partition space of 30GB and see if that works. Couple gigs here and there shouldn't matter...

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks Sau. I have 34 GB for Windows and 177 GB for Mac. It still shows the same error

"The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved. Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again."

Im getting frustrated...

Reaction score
Slydude was dead on with the answer. Sadly the only thing that I was able to do was backup my system and reload from the disks. I then created the bootcamp partition and restored my files.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Me too. Found that out the hard way. I think I used Drive Genius to defragment the drive because I had it around but the following should work:T

1. Clone the system to an external drive
2. Boot from the clone and erase the internal drive. It's Ok for it to be one partition at this point.
3. Clone contents of the external drive back to your internal drive.
4. Now proceed with building the Windows partition using Boot Camp.

Reaction score
aha... that is the problem... sorry OP was having hard time understanding the question... I think slydude is bang on target...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.