How to connect OSX iMac to Windows 7 Laptop

Reaction score
I'm trying to copy over video files from my iMac (Snow Leopard) to a Windows 7 laptop. I've Samba file sharing turned on. However, I still can't get the two computers to network.

Can someone please help?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm trying to copy over video files from my iMac (Snow Leopard) to a Windows 7 laptop. I've Samba file sharing turned on. However, I still can't get the two computers to network.

Can someone please help?

Can you elaborate on what "I still can't get the two computers to network" means? Any error message? How have you gone about connecting? Are you being prompted for credentials? Can you ping the host machine?

OP
S
Reaction score
I've been trying to connect directly using an Ethernet cable. When I click on Network on my Mac the laptop doesn't show up. When I click on network in the laptop I can see the Mac but it says "Windows cannot access \\imac-obb073".

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any security software running on the Windows machine? Do you have file sharing turned on and an exception setup on the Windows machine?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
S
Reaction score
I do have a router. I connected the two using that but they couldn't see each other.

OP
S
Reaction score
Windows is saying that the pc is properly configured but the iMac is not responding.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
What version of W7 are you using? I had the home version and the kid's computer could not connect to the W2000 server I have. Upgrading to Professional made connections a breeze. Not sure though about connecting to a Mac. Mac does not "exist" from an XP box I know.

I would bet you have a better chance of sharing on the W7 box and having the Mac connect to the W7 machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.