New Games, and Pictures etc. on your iPod 1-3rd Generation iPod

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I saw the article too, I've installed it on my G3 iPod awhile back. The extras are really nice, but oddly, I couldn't get it to play my songs very nicely. But, yes, I would still recommend it, but it's better to have the iPod software boot up first, and have iPod Linux just hang around in the background, just incase you might find a need for the cool extras later on. Thanks for the heads up, I'm sure some people who have never heard about wil be interested.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
god i wish they would make it for 4 generation i pods

OP
FishinFool
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Ya...Thats what I mainly use it for...it mentioned in the article that the music quality was terrible...and they are going to be releasing one for the 4th generation/color/mini sometime soon

Its a good thing to show people when they criticize you on how much better their 4th generation is compared to your 1-3rd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
i got it on my first gen and its great. My favorite feature is the photoviewer. it's not high quality but works fine for simple things. the new games are lots of fun too. I was thinking about if you could put an appleworks file on?
o and the music stinks, can't play at all

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
I have this on my iPod and the xtra games are cool. The pictures take a little work to show up where you can see them ok. The music player on it does stink. Skips constantly. And unless you boot it purposely into linux, it will go to the regular iPod menu.

Reaction score
It's not supossed to play music nicely, if you read the article it mentions that.

I

iluvthsgam

i did that and my hard drive on my iPod just died that same night i installed ipod linux. yes i was using a 3g and was doing it right. good thing it was under my 1-year warranty and apple gave me a brand new one! But ill never try ipod linux again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
ok just to let everyone know, it won't work on an ipod G1, it needs firmware version 1.4 and we're running up to date 1.5

E

Ey3 D

I am gonna try that iPod and Linux thing when I have enough free time. Seems cool. When you turn it on, you see the Linux penguin! :)
Has anyone here tried it? Is it easy, dangerous, what?

I

iluvthsgam

as i said before, i tried it and my hard drive failed that same night. coincidence? maybe but it seems funny it would die after having not a single problem the same night i put ipod linux on it. i had a 3G model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I tried it on my 3G iPod. The installation went just fine, then things started to happen.

First of all, the contrast got all whacked out-- it looked like I killed my iPod and I had to hold the unit at just the right angle so I could make out what was on the screen. Once I figured out where the contrast adjustment was, I was able to adjust and see the display.

The games are average, the picture viewer is (IMHO) too simple to be useful at all, and like others have said the music player is low-quality.

Oh, and you have to have your iPod Mac-formatted: if you go between Windows and Mac like I do, you can forget connecting it to Windows.

It was a neat experiment, but I put everything back the way it was after a couple hours. It wasn't worth it.

T

Tel

I doubt I'd see any real use for this, I'm just happy that my iPod does what its supposed to; plays music well.

Reaction score
caribiner23 said:
I tried it on my 3G iPod. The installation went just fine, then things started to happen.

First of all, the contrast got all whacked out-- it looked like I killed my iPod and I had to hold the unit at just the right angle so I could make out what was on the screen. Once I figured out where the contrast adjustment was, I was able to adjust and see the display.

The games are average, the picture viewer is (IMHO) too simple to be useful at all, and like others have said the music player is low-quality.

Oh, and you have to have your iPod Mac-formatted: if you go between Windows and Mac like I do, you can forget connecting it to Windows.

It was a neat experiment, but I put everything back the way it was after a couple hours. It wasn't worth it.

You have to reset the contrast. Yea I know, it was bear finding the correct menu item when you can't see the display. Once you reset the contrast you have to save the settings or the next time you turn it on the contrast will be where it was before.

ed724

OP
FishinFool
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
iluvthsgam said:
i did that and my hard drive on my iPod just died that same night i installed ipod linux. yes i was using a 3g and was doing it right. good thing it was under my 1-year warranty and apple gave me a brand new one! But ill never try ipod linux again!

It works just fine on my 3g ipod...I've had no problems yet :headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
when it is ready for 4th generation ipods, I will have it the next day.

E

Ey3 D

I dunno...Maybe when I get an iPod Photo I will do it on my 3rd. Gen one. Hmmm..But will back up my music of course.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.